PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

Quote:
Can I ask what type of 'tea ball' ? I have only seen them in metal and they say metal is a no no when making kombucha.

I'm not erlibrd, but I'll reply in case erlibrd doesn't see your question. You're right about kombucha's not supposing to be put with metal; however, The writer was only in the stage of working with only boiling water and tea leaves; the scoby has not been added yet, so the metal container is not in "kombucha".

Last edited:
Thanks I understand now.

The quote thingy got mixed up somehow. I was asking about the metal teaball.

Quote:
Just remember when making Kombucha always use spring water (The Chlorine in tap water will kill the culture! Mine suggested to use green tea for the first couple of starts and 1 1/2 cups of sugar and a quarter cup of white or apple cider vinegar (My first one made 2 mushrooms in 7 days! stick a straw in it at 7 days and taste the result if it is too sweet let sit another 24 hours and retest! About 9 to 10 days it should be done! Remember also that it needs to stay at about 76 degrees and not too much above 85 degrees (I made an incubator out of an old cooler an extension cord and a night light) Leave the top off and use a wide mouth jar like Joe shows in the first page of this forum post! Put a paper towel over it and hold it with a rubberband and then i set it in the cooler ~ Put a towel over it to block some of the light ~ hung the night light in the cooler and put the top on I used a turkey thermomemeter and stuck it down the side so I could watch the temp (IT stayed at about 84 degrees around the clock and My house was from 64 to 71 degrees so I guess the night light puts (Regular 4 or 5 watt night light bulb Not Floresent) out more heat than I thought!!!!!
wee.gif
clap.gif
celebrate.gif

Happy growing
Ernie

"(The Chlorine in tap water will kill the culture!"

That's not right. When the water is boiled, the chlorine is burned off and evaporates, i.e., you don't have to buy any special water; you can use tap water.

You can also let your city water sit out in an uncovered container for 24 hours and the chlorine will evaporate out of the water. I learned this trick years ago when I first started keeping tropical fish tanks. I never had to use the chlorine remover for my tank water.

I break up a piece of bread and put the keifer over it. Would like to know how others give it to theirs.

Quote:
I have givin mine straight but you gotta stand back cause it is kinda like giving them yogurt or cottage cheese IT goes everywhere and you have to wear goggles LOL Also gave it to them in warm oatmeal with BOSS they love that too (Oh wait they love almost anything I give them not that they are pampered or anything)

Quote:
Thanks Joe and yes I was just hadn't taken the time to go look! Always nice to know how to pronunce it if you gonna drink it! Other wise if your talking to someonne they give you funny looks when you miss pronunce something

Ernie

In the spirit of Christmas and Probiotics this morning since it was 14 here in the midwest! My Little darlings got Warm Oatmeal with Left over white rice from the Chinese restaurant and Kefir with a half a banana mashed up in it! It was the other half of my banana from My Kefir smoothie for breakfast!

So in my quest for knowledge I have a question WHY is it OK to use stainless steel with Kefir??????????

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom