Jazzc

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2021
My pekin bantam has recently stopped being broody (she was broody around 3 weeks to hatch out some eggs) and I have noticed alot of white feathers scattered everywhere(like ALOT of feathers), so I inspected her and her legs seem to be missing feathers (she's a pekin so her legs grow feathers) I assume the pointy things sticking out are where the feathers used to be?

Apart from that she is walking and flying like normal and is her usual active self although she does look a little skinny but that might have been because she wasn't eating much when she was broody. I also think her nails might be too long? Are the missing feathers a sign of mites etc?

-Also it's the start of winter where I live so could this be molting?

Please no hate I'm looking after them the best I can and if this isn't getting better soon I will make an appointment with the vet.

IMG_20211113_163829810.jpg

It looks like she may have scaly leg mites (@Wyorp Rock confirm?). The treatment that I have used with success is rubbing vaseline on the legs every night, as well as some epsom salt leg baths in which I scrub the legs with a toothbrush.
Ok thanks for the reply I will try this and see if it helps

Back
Top Bottom