prolapsed rectum...can't get it to go back inside

jranderson

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Hello, I am new here and have read most of the threads on this topic. poor thing I believe has a prolapsed rectum. I just gave her a bath and cleaned her all around her bum, then I tried to push a big ball of flesh back inside of her but it wasn't budging. I could not get it to go back inside of her....I don't know what else to do. It seemed to really bother her when I tried to push it up. I tried to do it twice. I can barely stomach it, but I tried. As of now she is eating and drinking and I'm keeping her away from the other hens, but I don't know what else to do. I cannot afford a vet. any help would be much appreciated. thanks. Julie

1) What type of bird , age and weight. - Golden comet, 1 yr, 8lbs
2) What is the behavior, exactly. - bleeding from butt, fleshy ball like organ pulsing outside her bum
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 days
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.- yes, bleeding outside her bum
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - a few weeks ago was when we first noticed bloody eggs, but just yesterday noticed her bum looked horrid
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - layer pellets, grass, water
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - as of now it's been looking normal
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - bathed her and tried to manual push the fleshy organ back inside of her - didn't work
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - I can't afford vet...maybe someone else could get it back inside of her
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - picture below
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use - plan on putting her in cage with straw

59930_img_0312.jpg

Last edited:
There are many experts on here with far more experience than I have, but I've read that Preparation H ( the hemorrhoid cream) can shrink these tissues to the point where they can go back in. Also keeping her in a darkened area so that she doesn't try to lay eggs may give her "pipeline" a rest.

Hope someone else chimes in with more info for you. Good luck with her!

Must push this back in every time. If it remains out it will eventually become necrotic and she will die. When it pops out, be sure to pour a generous amount of mildly salty tepid water over it to clean it. Pour some honey or sugar on the flesh and wait a bit until the swelling goes down. Put on a latex glove and use a lubricant like KY jelly (vegetable oil is okay in a pinch) on your first two fingers (no long fingernails). When the swelling is less, use those two fingers to gently press the oviduct back in. Hold your hand over the vent for several minutes until the spasms caused by the Vegus nerve calm down. Pour more mild salt water over her bum to clean off the stickiness. Blot dry with a towel.

This hen should be separated from the flock for a couple of days so if it happens when you aren't around, the other chickens won't peck at the prolapse and kill her. I use a large plastic dog crate and put her in a dim/dark area to discourage egg laying.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Wash the area with warm water and then spread honey on the area/prolapsed vent. The tissue should go back in on its own over time. It has worked for me.

Thanks for the replies. I tried again, but no success. Bathed her well, then poured salt water over it, then sugar. It didn't seem to reduce the swelling. I tried pushing it back up, but it almost seems like there's nowhere for it to go. I held my hand there for a while but as soon as I moved it, it was there again. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at but the bottom portion is about the size of a golf ball, and that is attached to another fleshy portion which is protruding out of her pulsating. I'm not sure what else to do. : ( I guess I will put her in the cage down in my basement...I'm almost wondering if she needs to just be put out. I don't think it's going to go in on it's own...there is so much sticking out of her. Before I tried it she was walking around eating grass, now she's just staying put on the grass, seemingly traumatized. poor thing.

It takes time for the swelling to reduce. Here's more detail of what worked for me:

First realize that it may take a couple of days for her to normalize.
Second, isolate her in a darkened place. This is to keep others from pecking at her backside and the darkness helps discourage egg laying which would stress her situation.
Third, rinse/clean off her backside with warm water, then smear honey (only honey) on it
Fourth you can try to gently push the tissues back in, but don't worry if they don't go in.
Fifth give her time and repeat as necessary with washing and honey, particularly if the area gets dirty (eg she poops)
It may take a couple of days, but I have had repeated success with the above.

I'm pushing this post back up b/c the photo in post one looks just like what's going on w/ my Beezely. She is 9 months old SLW. The difference is her prolapse only happens while she's pooping. When she's done, it goes back up inside. I've bathed her, trimmed her butt feathers & applied some honey to the prolapsed bit of flesh. It went back inside. Should I keep her inside as suggested in the recent posts? Will this fix itself?

Keep her inside in a darkened area to rest that way and hopefully not lay an egg until this has prolapse has healed up... You're doing great. Keep up the good work! You are a great caregiver to your chicken.

Thank you. How do I know when she is heeled? She is in our dark office & we plan to keep her there for a couple of days.

Hello, I am new here and have read most of the threads on this topic. poor thing I believe has a prolapsed rectum. I just gave her a bath and cleaned her all around her bum, then I tried to push a big ball of flesh back inside of her but it wasn't budging. I could not get it to go back inside of her....I don't know what else to do. It seemed to really bother her when I tried to push it up. I tried to do it twice. I can barely stomach it, but I tried. As of now she is eating and drinking and I'm keeping her away from the other hens, but I don't know what else to do. I cannot afford a vet. any help would be much appreciated. thanks. Julie

1) What type of bird , age and weight. - Golden comet, 1 yr, 8lbs
2) What is the behavior, exactly. - bleeding from butt, fleshy ball like organ pulsing outside her bum
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 days
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.- yes, bleeding outside her bum
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - a few weeks ago was when we first noticed bloody eggs, but just yesterday noticed her bum looked horrid
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - layer pellets, grass, water
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - as of now it's been looking normal
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - bathed her and tried to manual push the fleshy organ back inside of her - didn't work
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - I can't afford vet...maybe someone else could get it back inside of her
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - picture below
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use - plan on putting her in cage with straw

59930_img_0312.jpg
this just happened to my 2 yr old barred rock, found a pool of blood on a cement block , when we were giving meal worm treats she was very lathargic...i picked her up and saw this big red buldge protruding from her vent, i mmediately put her in an epsom salt warm bath....i slowly massaged the area after cleaning her off and in a few minutes the swelling went down and it went back inside her.....i have isolated her in a dog crate in the barn where it is nice and dark, she doesnt seem to want to eat or drink...but have left feed and water there for her......is she going to be okay?.....pls help me

Back
Top Bottom