pronouncing mille fleur d'uccles......im butchering it.

Quote:
I suspect "meel" is probably more accurate...dunno. I'm a noob to French, but I hope to speak it without an American accent soon.

It is Flemish, not French
wink.png

Quote:
What makes me think it's pronounced without the "S"? Is that what you're trying to ask?

The fact that an "S" at the end of a word in French is not pronounced. Ever heard of "Les Miserables"?

Thanks!

smile.png

Quote:
I was referring to pronunciation, not spelling. You might have noticed that I do spell it with an "S" on the end, with the exception of when I spelled it phonetically.

This is a thread about pronunciation, right? Not spelling?

I'm sorry if it went over your head.

You're gonna love this............are you ready............French, German, Dutch (Flemish) and various other minor languages one of which is Yiddish. I told it was hysterical.
lau.gif

As I recall, the way I heard it is, years ago the city of Uccle was was founded, but it was actually more of a German populated town. Well, we all know that if it were pronounced the way the Germans say it, it sure wouldn't be dew-clay. It WOULD be dee-uckle. Yuck! Anyway.........over the years, due to the blending of the languages and I guess all those different languages being spoken in Belgium (strong French influence) it became ooo-clay. I remember being told by the president of one of the UK clubs that if you pronounced it as Barbu d'Uccle it might not feel so awkward to say. That is the official UK name for the Bearded d'Uccle, both Millie Fleur and Porcelain. Barbu is pronounced bar-boo dew-clay.
I for one am determined to stay with the correct pronunciation, in spite of feeling like I'm swimming up stream, and yes I know there are judges that still pronounce it the other way. But I think you'd agree that millie fleur dew-clay has a much sweater ring to the ear than mealy floor dee uckle.
Just my humble opinion.
hu.gif

Quote:
I was referring to pronunciation, not spelling. You might have noticed that I do spell it with an "S" on the end, with the exception of when I spelled it phonetically.

This is a thread about pronunciation, right? Not spelling?

I'm sorry if it went over your head.

Yup, missed it completely, it is still pronounced with the S

Last edited:
Quote:
What language to they speak in Belgium?

Thanks.

big_smile.png

ok.................so i found out! and..ahem.......in belgium they speak dutch and FRENCH! and the birds are from the town of uccle........a french area, hence the french name! and the -d'- which means -of-....... so now i get to laugh!
lau.gif
gig.gif

seriously, its all in good fun, no one get upset now, ok.

Back
Top Bottom