Protect yourself against credit card fraud!

Quote:
I would beg to differ with you on this. I feel it IS your reponsibility as a store operator to make sure that the purchases are being made by the authorized card holder. That is part of the job of ringing up items.

You look at ID to see if the signiture matches the ID so you know if this is the right person. Debit cards are different because they need a pin # and only the owner of the card should have that. But a credit card is a different story.

If the people in line don't like it too bad. No the bank shouldn't be responsible for a store operators lack of checking a card. It wasn't the banks fault. They didn't send the thieves out there.

Our bank reversed all charges and they (the bank) were not liable either, the store operators were, due to their lack of competence in checking ID properly.

I agree!

What I am saying is,
If a card is signed, there is no reason to ask for ID. Obviously a thief will sign the card, so yes they do get away with it in many places.
Second if a "John Doe" gives me a card and is clearly a "Jane" I ask for ID.
I'm not saying I support fraudulent activity, or let it happen knowingly! Sorry if it sounded that way, i'm just keeping it real!
hide.gif

dot n'dave :

What I am saying is,
If a card is signed, there is no reason to ask for ID. Obviously a thief will sign the card, so yes they do get away with it in many places.
Second if a "John Doe" gives me a card and is clearly a "Jane" I ask for ID.
I'm not saying I support fraudulent activity, or let it happen knowingly! Sorry if it sounded that way, i'm just keeping it real!
hide.gif

What does the signed card have to do with it being ok to not look? If someone takes my card for whatever reason and goes to the store and buys things with it--it makes no difference if it is signed--it still is not me!

If the store operator takes the time to look at the back of the card and verify name (Oh look it's Rustyswoman) and the person with the ID is dot n' dave--then I would hope they would be suspicious and refuse the card.

My cards say "check ID" and a great many don't take the time to do it. When I go someplace and they don't check ID I speak with the manager. Now that is taking up valuable time but considering the alarming amount of fraud going on out there, I don't believe that we can be TOO careful. Plus it takes all of 30 seconds.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I agree with if the card says "See ID" they should ask, and I do.

Again I am saying that if their card IS signed and nothing looks suspicious I do not ask for ID.

I work for a chainwide retail store, and I am not allowed to do something like ask every single card holder for ID without good reason. That is making up my own fake policy and would cause problems because it would be inconsistent with my co-workers and the other close by stores in the company.
There is another store in my district just 5 mins down the road from mine, and we have regulars that will shop both every week. There was an issue with the store mgr making up a rule that every shopping bag had to be stapled shut. Our store never did this, because it is not company policy and eventually customers we're getting mad and going to corporate because of the inconsistency. You would be surprised at what we can get in trouble for.

I think we're missing each others thoughts here, and I thought i'd give a retail point of view, but I think i'll stick to talking about chickens, since everyone thinks I'm the bad guy now.

Oh yes....I politely tore into a young gal at Arby's one day over that. I do not sign any of my cards...they all say "SEE I.D." on the signature blocks...she ran the card and when she asked me to sign it I refused. She said "You have to sign" I said "YOU have to verify that I own the card" See flipped it over and blushed. I proceeded to explain to her how important it was to take a moment to view the card and ask for the identification....I told her most people will appreciate your asking them

We do exactly the same thing, See Photo ID in place of a signature. Plus, our card is does not have Debit capability, just ATM. And we don't buy things online or have account numbers on any website nor do we bank online at all. Hopefully, that will help us avoid the trouble you've had, Germaine, but thieves are becoming sneakier lately it seems.​

Back
Top Bottom