PROTEIN!!!PROTEIN!!!PROTEIN!!! (Please)

I like to give my birds some good quality alfalfa hay, and they love it. They pick out the green leaves, a good source of high quality protein. You can also buy this in pellets as well. A common source of animal food protein here is Soybean pellets or meal. It is an easy way to increase protein levels but I have read concerns about the soy/estrogen connection. This is what they add to ground corn to increase protein content for hogs at my feed mill. I don't use it because I like to hatch my eggs, though it does not seem to decrease fertility in hogs. An easy route for the OP would be to feed the higer protein crumbles for a total feed. I like adding meat proteins, but they are expensive options here in KY.

Quote:
This is what I'm using to supplement mine, since I can't get a layer feed here with more than 16% protein. I also add some BOSS, but I don't think that's a protein thing. That's more for fats to bulk up for winter.

Quote:
I do not believe this is a true statement..

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/quinoa.html

Yes Quinoa is THE wonder grain, with good protein and an incredible nutrient profile...But if looking for the "highest" protein I would look to legumes...
wink.png

ON

I feed mine sunflower seed (BOSS) to get sturdy shiny feathers, good for crafts. Just today I skinned 3 copperheads and the flock got the carcasses. They also like fish, or whatever fresh gut pile is on hand. Remember the old (like it was the original viral blog) thread Basenjis in Elk? I wonder what my chickens would do with a whole deer skeleton! Probably pick it clean.

My dominant hen even persuades the dog to share bone marrow and other doggie delicacies like chipmunk and squirrel.

Quote:

Yes Quinoa is THE wonder grain, with good protein and an incredible nutrient profile...But if looking for the "highest" protein I would look to legumes...
wink.png

ON

Right, but legumes aren't a "grain" (ie - a cereal grain). Quinoa is the only grain that provides all of the amino acids, and has the highest overall protein content.

Of course... both legumes and quinoa are awesome for people and chickens, so no matter which you provide, you're ahead of the game.

Quote:

wink.png

ON

Right, but legumes aren't a "grain" (ie - a cereal grain). Quinoa is the only grain that provides all of the amino acids, and has the highest overall protein content.

Of course... both legumes and quinoa are awesome for people and chickens, so no matter which you provide, you're ahead of the game.

Did you look at the link?....
roll.png

Again here:
http://corn.agronomy.wisc.edu/Crops/Quinoa.aspx
Both Barley and Buckwheat have higher crude protein than Quinoa. The crude protein of Quinoa is only slightly higher than Hard Red Wheat. (I am not saying Buckwheat is a good chicken feed though! Just that it has a higher crude protein...)

Yes Quinoa has a very balanced and superior Amino acid profile.

I never said legumes were a grain. I am just saying legumes have much higher protein. (24%-34% range)..Yes they do not have the amino acid profile that quinoa does.. That is why the age old combination of legumes and corn have been use in regions where quinoa can not be grown...

Don't get me wrong I love Quinoa, I have considered moving to a location solely based on the conditions best for growing it... I do not consider Quinoa a viable chicken feed based solely on its price.. What $5 a pound!!!!! Heck might as well feed my chickens surf and turf at those prices..

Since I love Quinoa so much I tried growing it and studied up on the growing conditions. It is a very very tough grain to grow, suited best for high elevations (Can not take summer temps above 90 F) with long growing seasons (100+ days), and short day lengths. (Latitudes below 40)(Not more than 14 hours of day light)

That is one heck of a requirement! Hard to do unless you are in the Rocky Mountains or the Andes!

ON

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom