Puffed up chicken

skyefry

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2023
Hi! I’m hoping I can get some advice as what to do for my hen. She has been lethargic and puffed up. She isn’t drinking water but she is grazing in the yard and eating some of her food just not as much as usual. Her poop is runny but not bloody and I can’t see any worms or anything noticeably bad.

She also hasn’t laid in a few months, her sister passed away and she has been very depressed and she was also molting when she stopped laying. She isn’t egg bound or have anything negative egg related to her that I can see or tell. Her body feels fine, nothing swollen or anything unusual.

I regularly keep ACV in her water and I also added electrolytes and vitamins to it as well.
Any suggestions on what to try next??

Welcome To BYC

How old is she?

Since she's not been laying eggs, she may be having some reproductive issues.
You can try giving her Extra Calcium for a few days to see if that helps. Make sure her crop is emptying overnight, look her over for lice/mites and consider getting a fecal float to see if worms are part of the problem.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Welcome To BYC

How old is she?

Since she's not been laying eggs, she may be having some reproductive issues.
You can try giving her Extra Calcium for a few days to see if that helps. Make sure her crop is emptying overnight, look her over for lice/mites and consider getting a fecal float to see if worms are part of the problem.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.
She is 3yrs old!
After reading some more Im thinking she might have sour crop as she has been puking up small amounts of this yellow smelly fluid. She has had this once before about a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom