Puffy eyes

Sueahardy

Hatching
Mar 3, 2022
My buff Orpington has had puffiness around her eyes for the past year or so. It doesn’t seem to effect her in anyway but recently it seems to have got slightly worse. Can anyone advise what it might be. Thx

Attachments

• 6EE08E49-E724-40FD-BCC8-C538589D2402.jpeg
    6EE08E49-E724-40FD-BCC8-C538589D2402.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 13
Welcome To BYC

How old is she?

If she's had puffiness for a year, it would be hard to know the cause.
I would flush her eye with saline, remove any bubbles or pus or debris and apply some Terramycin eye ointment in the eye a couple of times a day to see if that helps.

Has she ever had any other symptoms like coughing, sneezing, mucous, etc.?

Any lice or mites?

Welcome To BYC

How old is she?

If she's had puffiness for a year, it would be hard to know the cause.
I would flush her eye with saline, remove any bubbles or pus or debris and apply some Terramycin eye ointment in the eye a couple of times a day to see if that helps.

Has she ever had any other symptoms like coughing, sneezing, mucous, etc.?

Any lice or mites?
She is 2 years old and otherwise she is in perfect health. She has no other symptoms and never had lice or mites. She doesn’t seem bothered by her eyes either which is why we’ve not thought there was anything wrong and only recently thought we had better check it out as the red area around her eye seems more puffy than usual.
I will try and get some Terramycin ointment. I’m assuming in the uk I will need to get that from a vet?

Watery, swollen and bubbly eyes can be a sign of a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) It can come and go because it is a chronic disease. Since you may need or see a vet for eye ointment, your vet could also treat her with Tylosin, oxytetracycline, or Denagard which can systemically treat MG. But do clean her eyes with saline eye wash. It is too bad that you cannot get Terramycin (oxytetracycline) eye ointment without seeing a vet in the UK. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/resource/...mycoplasma-gallisepticum-mg-infection-poultry

Watery, swollen and bubbly eyes can be a sign of a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) It can come and go because it is a chronic disease. Since you may need or see a vet for eye ointment, your vet could also treat her with Tylosin, oxytetracycline, or Denagard which can systemically treat MG. But do clean her eyes with saline eye wash. It is too bad that you cannot get Terramycin (oxytetracycline) eye ointment without seeing a vet in the UK. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/resource/...mycoplasma-gallisepticum-mg-infection-poultry

Thank you, I’ve managed to source some Terramycin online so I’m going to try that plus washing with saline first. If that’s not successful then I will take her to the vets.

Back
Top Bottom