Pullet not standing and open mouth breathing

TwinChickens

Chirping
Feb 10, 2018
Western Australia
Yesterday I brought three new pulleys into my small flock, two of them are doing just fine, however the smallest one Missy, which is a 14 week 3/4 Australorp seems to be having some trouble - she is having difficulty standing up, refuses to scratch even if she is standing and often open mouth breathes.

It is Summer right now so it's very hot, which could be a cause of the open mouth breathing, so we've moved her inside with air con on, she is eating both seed and layer crumble, however we've not fed her any produce or scraps yet.

We didn't notice when we bought her, but it seems she was henpecked at the farm we got her from, and when we put her in the coop initially we noticed her immediately being picked on by our established leader. We have put beta dine on her back and she doesn't seem to be showing obvious discomfort.

With regards to her standing, she seems to have some trouble walking and won't stand for more than a minute or two. She will sit very lopsidedly and breathes heavily. We have looked at her legs, no obvious signs of injury, and has yet to actually join the flock or really go into the coop, so we don't think she been injured or diseased while in our care.

Right now my main concern is that it is marks disease, although her eyes seem to be normal and her poo is firm and normal coloured. Any ideas of anything else it could be?

:welcome It's been said to quarantine any new birds for at least a month before adding to your flock to prevent any spread of illness to your established flock. Check under her feet, do you see any scabs? Are her toes curled? You're in Australia? Are you able to get Nutri Drench? It could be stress, try giving her some Vitamins & Electrolytes.

Keep a close eye on the other new ones, if possible separate from your flock, hopefully it's not Mareks and if it is, your flock probably exposed already.

UPDATE: she is doing a lot better after a couple of hours outside in the grass. I checked her feet and they appear to be fine, she hasn't breathed through her mouth in a few hours, so that may have been the heat as it has cooled down now. In my inspection I discovered that she is holding up one of her legs, and when i tried to straighten it, she started flapping and cheeping, so it's probably painful. She will be spending another night in the hospital box, and will be receiving worming treatments and nutrition supplements tomorrow.

The other pullets are healthy as anything, even standing up to the leader, so I am now considering it may not be MD as all the other birds seem to be healthy. We are going to take Missy to an avian vet to see if she has injured her leg.

Back
Top Bottom