Pullet or Roo? Think breed is EE...?

Jacquieh

Chirping
Apr 14, 2017
Reno,Nv
Hey,
So I "thought" my chicken was a girl. I've never had chickens before, so this is new to me. I asked for help with figuring out what sex she was and thought I had it nailed down. Well, yesterday I got her a friend, cause everyone said she needed one. So I got a pretty little Araucana (so sweet and pretty btw). But my EE was aggressive to her. I figure it was like any animals that they needed to get used to each other. But looking at the difference in their legs/feet, how dainty the Araucana is, compared to my EE....and the EE was stepping on the Araucana's back and pecking at her head? So I'm wondering could my first chicken, the EE, in fact be a roo? She (?) has NEVER even tried to crow....she is about 12 weeks. I rescued her, so I can't be positive about age, other than looking at feather development etc. Her comb isn't very big, and she doesn't have those things coming off her jaw. So basically.....HELP. Is her behavior normal, or is she a He? I took lots of pictures to show everyone. So I would greatly appreciate all the advice anyone can give. Thank you, Jacquie
20170526_170518_001.jpg
20170526_170242_007.jpg

I took this so everyone can see her saddle feathers. I have nothing to compare them to, so I don't know if they are more pointy or not?
20170526_170518_001.jpg
20170526_170242_007.jpg
20170526_170329_000.jpg

Those are her feet....I think (compared to the Araucana's) they look kinda stocky and Big!
20170526_154738_009.jpg

The left is the new chicken (Araucana) and the right is the EE and the one I'm asking about. This is the behavior that I'm talking about. She steps on the other chickens back. I added this pic to show her full profile.
Anyways, thank you all again.
Jacquie

Your EE is a pullet. I have attached a picture comparison of the pointed vs round saddle feathers. Hens will also exhibit dominance against other birds by stepping on backs and plucking feathers.

Hey,
So I "thought" my chicken was a girl. I've never had chickens before, so this is new to me. I asked for help with figuring out what sex she was and thought I had it nailed down. Well, yesterday I got her a friend, cause everyone said she needed one. So I got a pretty little Araucana (so sweet and pretty btw). But my EE was aggressive to her. I figure it was like any animals that they needed to get used to each other. But looking at the difference in their legs/feet, how dainty the Araucana is, compared to my EE....and the EE was stepping on the Araucana's back and pecking at her head? So I'm wondering could my first chicken, the EE, in fact be a roo? She (?) has NEVER even tried to crow....she is about 12 weeks. I rescued her, so I can't be positive about age, other than looking at feather development etc. Her comb isn't very big, and she doesn't have those things coming off her jaw. So basically.....HELP. Is her behavior normal, or is she a He? I took lots of pictures to show everyone. So I would greatly appreciate all the advice anyone can give. Thank you, Jacquie
View attachment 1019208 View attachment 1019211
I took this so everyone can see her saddle feathers. I have nothing to compare them to, so I don't know if they are more pointy or not?
View attachment 1019208 View attachment 1019211 View attachment 1019219
Those are her feet....I think (compared to the Araucana's) they look kinda stocky and Big!View attachment 1019233
The left is the new chicken (Araucana) and the right is the EE and the one I'm asking about. This is the behavior that I'm talking about. She steps on the other chickens back. I added this pic to show her full profile.
Anyways, thank you all again.
Jacquie

Both look like pullets to me, but I don't think the one on the right is an Easter egger because of the yellow legs. EE's should have greenish or slate legs. It could be a mixture. They also could be working out a pecking order with the bird who was there the longest having the advantage. As long as they the newbie can eat and drink and they're not drawing blood, they should be able to work it out and become friends.

EE's don't necessarily have green or slate legs, it is just a lot more common. But, I do believe your Araucana is actually an Ameraucana. Araucana's have only ear tufts and are more rare. Ameraucanas have beards and tufts.

I could be very, very wrong, but I think your first chick is a Legbar cross, and your second is an Ameraucanas cross, but either way I think they're both EEs.

Back
Top Bottom