Pullet stopped laying?

ascott11

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Hi everyone!
I have a four month old pullet that started laying eggs about two weeks ago. All the sudden this week she stopped laying. I let them free range but she was always good about going back to the coop to lay in the nesting boxes. I checked around the yard and couldn’t find any and the past two days they didn’t free range and no eggs. Is this normal for them to stop laying like this when they come into laying? I checked for egg binding and I don’t feel anything on her stomach and near the vent. I thought it was a little early for her to start laying. I’m not sure on her breed but I’ll post a picture of her. I just took them at night so she looks a little startled!

Attachments

• C95448F1-C4D2-458C-A1DD-A4F7354B4817.jpeg
    C95448F1-C4D2-458C-A1DD-A4F7354B4817.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 3
  • B0088CD8-0674-45E8-B9BC-C26D215265C5.jpeg
    B0088CD8-0674-45E8-B9BC-C26D215265C5.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 2
Yes it's normal for some to take a while to lay more regularly. It also isn't abnormal for them to lay the first eggs, than to stop for a while.

I thought it was a little early for her to start laying.
I thought so too.

I let them free range but she was always good about going back to the coop to lay in the nesting boxes.
Confine the birds to where the nests are.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Is it hot where you are?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1594496714899.png

Back
Top Bottom