Puppie caught hen!

Jami F

Chirping
Sep 11, 2020
Western Kentucky
My 6 month old border collie broke into coop and got my pet hen. He was chewing on her neck when I caught him. I dabbed her with warm water and a little neosporin. I got her to drink some water with a syringe. I put her in a nest for the night thinking she wouldn’t make it but this morning she came out and drank on her own. I put her sister out on the run and shut the door so she could have some peace today. Will her feathers grow back? Anything I can do for her?? Please help. I only have the two and feel helpless.

Attachments

• IMG_8548.jpeg
    IMG_8548.jpeg
    537.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8549.jpeg
    IMG_8549.jpeg
    495 KB · Views: 9
Do you have any antimicrobial wash or spray? Like Hibiclens or Vetericyn? I'd get it cleaned up with something like what I suggested and coat it really good with pain free neosporin. Dogs mouths carry a lot of bacteria. You'll need to keep her separate from the other hen until she heals, and indoors in a crate away from flies if possible. You can also give her some electrolytes; just be sure she is staying hydrated. Chickens are very resilient!

Thank you so much for the help. I’m so worried, I didn’t know what to do.
You're welcome! I had a hen that my rooster gloved (his nails cut her skin and his foot slid in about 3 inches) I cleaned the wound and packed it with Neosporin every day for about 2 weeks, and she healed up great! Just keep an eye on the wounds, make sure there is no festering or smell.

I just gave her some water and she drank it. No smelling or anything. She’s standing in her nest. no more bleeding and just a couple punctures that aren’t too deep. I’ll put some more neosporin on as you said. Thank you very much.

In 16 years my border collie never attacked my free range chickens or ducks.

Collie literally translates to "good farm dog".

Smartest dog in the world.

Teach him "leave it". You should be able to let him into the chicken pen with no problems. There are blogs on the net that will tell you how to teach him leave it.

I know they are smart and good farm dogs but they have been attacking my two pet chickens since we got the puppies. ”Leave it” is not working on the chicken attacks. Thank you though.

I know they are smart and good farm dogs but they have been attacking my two pet chickens since we got the puppies. ”Leave it” is not working on the chicken attacks. Thank you though.
If you have a farm store near by they should have fish antibiotics, grab some auquaceph, or aquamox just in case of infection. I completely understand with your dogs, I have a blue heeler he's about to turn 1 and the only way we have been able to deter him from the chickens is a training collar, we only need to use the vibration setting and a firm no sir and he leaves them be

Back
Top Bottom