Puppy with roundworm

wifeyschlegel

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2018
Jonesborough, TN
We got a puppy on Monday night, as soon as we got him home realized he had roundworms, took him to the vet Tuesday morning and got him on medication(they gave one dose and sent me home with 3 more once a week doses). He hasn't pooped in about 12 hours now, he hasn't eaten much either, just a little here and there.. When should I worry that he's not pooping?

For simple constipation you can use an infant suppository. You can get them at any drug store, they are made of glycerine, and they can't hurt the puppy. That said, you need to find out what is causing the problem in the first place. Put another call to the vet if you haven't heard back. Is the puppy's temperature normal? Is he throwing up? Is he playful or just laying around?

it's not uncommon for pups to be off the food/potty schedule when moving to a new home. often it's a matter of stress and nerves. Since he has worms, I would call the vet and ask since a heavy worm load can lead to constipation.
otherwise, light exercise to get the system moving and healthy diet.

You got to deworm them like at least one time a year u can buy the stuff at Petco for cheap.

This stuff tastes funny as to just assume your pup has the funny Taste in it's mouth

You got to deworm them like at least one time a year u can buy the stuff at Petco for cheap.

This stuff tastes funny as to just assume your pup has the funny Taste in it's mouth
It's always best to have your vet do a fecal before you worm them, cheap can often be just that which is cheap. The vets worm pill often costs a few dollars, and you only need to have a fecal done.

Additionally many monthly heartworm preventatives contain a wormer for a few common types.

Pretty much only round and hook worms. Ideally want you wany to go to the vet but it's not the most serious thing to give dewormer once a year or so without fecal examination.

Pretty much only round and hook worms. Ideally want you wany to go to the vet but it's not the most serious thing to give dewormer once a year or so without fecal examination.
Just depends on how you feel about your dogs. Certain conditions can be made worse by random worming, like heartworms, certain wormers are deadly to certain breeds, plus there can always be a reaction to any type of medicine. I personally don't want to risk my dog to save a few dollars.

Plus I forgot to mention certain worms like tapeworms need their own type of wormer, so OTC doesn't cover all worms.

Y
Just depends on how you feel about your dogs. Certain conditions can be made worse by random worming, like heartworms, certain wormers are deadly to certain breeds, plus there can always be a reaction to any type of medicine. I personally don't want to risk my dog to save a few dollars.

Plus I forgot to mention certain worms like tapeworms need their own type of wormer, so OTC doesn't cover all worms.

Your info is inaccurate

Back
Top Bottom