Purple comb, green watery poop, lethargic

oceansunset73

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
California
Hello,

I have a 3 1/2 year old Production Red hen. Her name is Mocha.

For the past three days, she has been lethargic. Today I noticed she is no longer eating, her comb is drooping, and the tips of her comb is light purple. I checked where she sleeps in the coup, and her poop is very watery and florescent green. Her behind is starting to get a little messy as well, bright white in color.

I've already checked for mites, there is no physical injury that I can see, no nasal discharge, no sneezing, no breathing issue that I can hear, and she isn't egg bound either. She stopped laying eggs several months ago.

I've given her Nutri-Drench this afternoon and she drank quite a bit of it.

Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

So sorry! Purple comb is usually a sign of poor oxygenation...but with no obvious respiratory symptoms it’s strange. Hopefully someone comes along and can help!

Last edited:
3 1/2 year old Production Red hen. Her name is Mocha
past three days, she has been lethargic. Today I noticed she is no longer eating, her comb is drooping, and the tips of her comb is light purple. I checked where she sleeps in the coup, and her poop is very watery and florescent green. Her behind is starting to get a little messy as well, bright white in color.
She stopped laying eggs several months ago.
I'm sorry to hear that Mocha is not doing well.
Do you have photos of her and the poop you would like to share?

With her being 3 1/2, a production hen and stopped laying eggs for several months. I would lean toward some type of reproductive issue. Cancer, tumors, Salpingitis, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, etc., can be common in laying hens. Sometimes the symptoms fluid (Ascites) accompanies these issues as well. The comb turning purple usually indicates a reduction in oxygen - I've seen that in my hens that have had reproductive disorders.

I would feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid. See that her crop is emptying overnight.
Try to keep her hydrated.

Any chance that she ate something moldy or rancid? Green poop a lot of times is due to dehydration/not eating. It can also indicate infection.

Getting a fecal float to see if worms are present is always a good idea.

Keep her comfortable if possible. Sometimes with supportive care a hen can recover for a while.
Let us know how she is, I look forward to more information.

Her whole backside does appear larger in size
Watching her this morning, her backside is much larger and her legs are farther apart when she walks. Could be ascites instead?

Ugh. I love my girls so much but I don’t think I will ever get any Production Reds again. I have had nothing but issues with most of them.
From what you are describing, I think I'm leaning toward reproductive issues? Since she is a production breed? I lost one of my other Production Reds to what I believe might have been EYP two years ago. Her symptoms were different though; fairy eggs, then lash eggs, then crop issues.
She may have some fluid (Ascites) but that is a symptom - it can be from reproductive problems and/or organ dysfunction. The only way to know the cause would be to have a necropsy (or perform one yourself) if you happen to lose her.

A widened stance, sadly, I have found indicates reproductive problems. If there is fluid, some folks drain the fluid to help give the hen some relief. They only drain when necessary since there are risks when draining (potential infection from the needle stick, draining to much at a time and then hen goes into cardiac arrest, etc.).

Having laying hens can sometimes be frustrating. Sadly reproductive disorders are quite common.

She may have some fluid (Ascites) but that is a symptom - it can be from reproductive problems and/or organ dysfunction. The only way to know the cause would be to have a necropsy (or perform one yourself) if you happen to lose her.

A widened stance, sadly, I have found indicates reproductive problems. If there is fluid, some folks drain the fluid to help give the hen some relief. They only drain when necessary since there are risks when draining (potential infection from the needle stick, draining to much at a time and then hen goes into cardiac arrest, etc.).

Having laying hens can sometimes be frustrating. Sadly reproductive disorders are quite common.

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with such useful information. I will try and make her as comfortable as I can and continue to provide extra nutrients for her. My poor baby Mocha. 😔 Thank you for your help.

Thank you.

I checked her crop , and it's not impacted or sour at this time. Her whole backside does appear larger in size than it normally does though. I felt it and it doesn't feel extremely hard nor does it feel extremely squishy either though.

From what you are describing, I think I'm leaning toward reproductive issues? Since she is a production breed? I lost one of my other Production Reds to what I believe might have been EYP two years ago. Her symptoms were different though; fairy eggs, then lash eggs, then crop issues.

I will keep you informed of how she is doing. I really truly appreciate the help....

Last edited:
Watching her this morning, her backside is much larger and her legs are farther apart when she walks. Could be ascites instead?

Ugh. I love my girls so much but I don’t think I will ever get any Production Reds again. I have had nothing but issues with most of them. :(

Back
Top Bottom