Purple comb

Mayochick

Chirping
Jul 14, 2022
Illinois
My Coop
My Coop
Hello, I have a one year old hen, and recently she’s kinda been slowing down and I realized her comb and crown shrink and turned purple. Please help me to know what this means and what I can do to help her.

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpeg
    IMG_0308.jpeg
    520.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    656.4 KB · Views: 5
When was the last time she laid an egg? Any issues with egg quality? Does she hold her tail down low and flat? Is there fluid dripping from her vent? Any yellow mucous in the watery poop?

That Vet RX is good stuff and can make a chicken with respiratory symptoms more comfortable, like Vick's does for humans, but it's not any sort of antibiotic, which your hen probably could use. Do you have anything on hand? Old prescriptions? Or you can call around to pet stores and ask for fish mox or aqua mox. Amoxicillin for fish aquariums works for chickens and can be bought without prescription. The dose is 250mg per day for ten days.

Purple like that can indicate poor circulation, not enough oxygen getting around. Usually this is a genetic heart problem, and I would not expect her to live long. But she might... no saying.

Oh, believe me, I get it, and she's really young so it's weird, if it gets too bad It may be best to put her down. How is her behavior day to day? Is she socializing with the others, sleeping with them or sleeping in the same spot?
Yahh she’s very young still, but unfortunately she just passed away right when I was going to put the chickens to bed. She usually sleeps well with the whole flock I’ve never experienced bullying they all get along good. I hope this doesn’t affect the rest of my flock

Describe her behavior more thoroughly. Is she eating? Is she lethargic or still normally active? Does she stand in one place all the time with eyes closed? What is her poop like? Any balance issues? Stumbling? Limping?

Describe her behavior more thoroughly. Is she eating? Is she lethargic or still normally active? Does she stand in one place all the time with eyes closed? What is her poop like? Any balance issues? Stumbling? Limping?
She’s walks but very slow, she does drink water but doesn’t really eat much, both her eyes look good there not closed, I did see her poop but it was like little liquid kinda yellow, she has no balance issues, no stumbling or limping. A couple days ago she was completely fine eating, pooping, drinking and playing around like normal

How hot is it where you are? it could be from excess heat/ the other hens are chasing her away from the water. The yellow poop could be caused by her diet, ie high protein feed/ treats. This could be a circulatory issue but I doubt it because of her weird behavior. Do you have a vet near you? It could be a disease

When was the last time she laid an egg? Any issues with egg quality? Does she hold her tail down low and flat? Is there fluid dripping from her vent? Any yellow mucous in the watery poop?
Honestly I don’t know when the last she laid an egg I have 8 other chickens and they lay the same color as her but if I had to guess she probably laid an egg about 1 or 2 weeks ago. I also have other chickens that are molting but I know that’s normal so I’m not really getting much eggs daily. Her tail seems normal it’s not down. Nothing is dripping from her vent. She does have like a watery poop and it’s kinda yellowish. I did buy medicine for her. This is what I got for her

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpeg
    IMG_0311.jpeg
    959.5 KB · Views: 3
How hot is it where you are? it could be from excess heat/ the other hens are chasing her away from the water. The yellow poop could be caused by her diet, ie high protein feed/ treats. This could be a circulatory issue but I doubt it because of her weird behavior. Do you have a vet near you? It could be a disease
The water is not hot it’s actually cold outside now so the water is on the cool side. I do have a vet but it’s very expensive just to check up on them

Back
Top Bottom