purring chickens

caroline

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 17, 2008
Hi all. I am new here so please be gentle with my often naive questions....
lol.png

I have 6 9 week old pullets and cockerels. Well, I hope I have some pullets. Could someone share some ideas on the behaviour of pullets at this age? Some of my pets purr! All of them charge each other but don't all peck. I am hoping this is just a pecking order amongst pullets and cockerels.
Thanks, look forward to a reply from this really helpful forum.

They purr when they are content and happy. They will also growl and make all sorts of noises. I love to hear the soft quiet clucks of a happy hen house. To me it means all is right in the world.
smile.png

Wow! Thanks so much for that quick response. So, do both pullets and cockerels purr?

I have a little cockerel that makes a very quiet, high pitched, squealing sound when he is waiting for one of the girls to lay an egg. The pullet will respond with the same tone. I wish I could record some of the sounds they make.

Quote:
well i wish mine does that

but in fact one of them...when i carry & pet it......

it SQUIRMS as if its about to DIE!. seems like torture to it....the absoloute AGONY it seems. it squirms so hard in my grip that u can hear the wing nearly dislocating with a *Click* sound...

and once it did that i had my face near by and it pecked my lip.......

well this one i dont treat it as good as the older & calmer hen.
and because this younger one is so unfriendly & a pain in the bum...if it flew away or died...id feel no regrets.

Quote:
well i wish mine does that

but in fact one of them...when i carry & pet it......

it SQUIRMS as if its about to DIE!. seems like torture to it....the absoloute AGONY it seems. it squirms so hard in my grip that u can hear the wing nearly dislocating with a *Click* sound...

and once it did that i had my face near by and it pecked my lip.......

well this one i dont treat it as good as the older & calmer hen.
and because this younger one is so unfriendly & a pain in the bum...if it flew away or died...id feel no regrets.

Mine purr too. My barred rocks also snore.
big_smile.png
The other day when one of my barred rocks was laying an egg the poor thing was grunting too while she pushed out the egg. It was a double yolker I found out.

When I go in at night to shut their door, they seem to be purring also. it seems like it's their bedtime song or they're singing themselves to sleep.

Thanks all. Can anyone tell me if all chicks bang chests and fly at each other or just roos? All of mine do that. Some say both boys and girls do it because of the pecking order, some say "oh no! They are all roosters!" They are not nasty to each other, they just do that then carry on about their thing (usually eating) and this is when they are out of their coop.

Back
Top Bottom