purring chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by caroline, Nov 17, 2008.

1. caroline

caroline Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    Hi all. I am new here so please be gentle with my often naive questions....
    [​IMG]
    I have 6 9 week old pullets and cockerels. Well, I hope I have some pullets. Could someone share some ideas on the behaviour of pullets at this age? Some of my pets purr! All of them charge each other but don't all peck. I am hoping this is just a pecking order amongst pullets and cockerels.
    Thanks, look forward to a reply from this really helpful forum.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They purr when they are content and happy. They will also growl and make all sorts of noises. I love to hear the soft quiet clucks of a happy hen house. To me it means all is right in the world. [​IMG]

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    My girls purr when I hold them. It's the best!

4. caroline

Nov 17, 2008
    Wow! Thanks so much for that quick response. So, do both pullets and cockerels purr?

5. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    I have a little cockerel that makes a very quiet, high pitched, squealing sound when he is waiting for one of the girls to lay an egg. The pullet will respond with the same tone. I wish I could record some of the sounds they make.

6. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:well i wish mine does that

but in fact one of them...when i carry & pet it......

it SQUIRMS as if its about to DIE!. seems like torture to it....the absoloute AGONY it seems. it squirms so hard in my grip that u can hear the wing nearly dislocating with a *Click* sound...

and once it did that i had my face near by and it pecked my lip.......

well this one i dont treat it as good as the older & calmer hen.
    and because this younger one is so unfriendly & a pain in the bum...if it flew away or died...id feel no regrets.

7. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:well i wish mine does that

but in fact one of them...when i carry & pet it......

it SQUIRMS as if its about to DIE!. seems like torture to it....the absoloute AGONY it seems. it squirms so hard in my grip that u can hear the wing nearly dislocating with a *Click* sound...

and once it did that i had my face near by and it pecked my lip.......

well this one i dont treat it as good as the older & calmer hen.
    and because this younger one is so unfriendly & a pain in the bum...if it flew away or died...id feel no regrets.

8. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Mine purr too. My barred rocks also snore. [​IMG] The other day when one of my barred rocks was laying an egg the poor thing was grunting too while she pushed out the egg. It was a double yolker I found out.

9. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    When I go in at night to shut their door, they seem to be purring also. it seems like it's their bedtime song or they're singing themselves to sleep.

10. caroline

Nov 17, 2008
    Thanks all. Can anyone tell me if all chicks bang chests and fly at each other or just roos? All of mine do that. Some say both boys and girls do it because of the pecking order, some say "oh no! They are all roosters!" They are not nasty to each other, they just do that then carry on about their thing (usually eating) and this is when they are out of their coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by