Quail cage ideas

Patiocoturnix

🦠
Premium Feather Member
Jun 15, 2023
West central Florida
Thinking about making a new cage/enclosure for my quail right now I have 5 adults and 9 chicks in the brooder. I was planning on making it 2 story the dimensions I’m thinking about are 4ft long 3ft wide and 2-2 1/2 ft tall but there would be two cages this big is this big enough for 9 quail and if not or you have any better cage ideas for a small back porch please send them my way. Also would it be a good idea to integrate like a reptile mister I live in fl so it’s really hot. Thank you to anyone who reads or replies. Looking forward to see what you have to say

Rabbit cages work well.
PXL_20230624_214151421.jpg
PXL_20230624_214214931.jpg

I have now found out the area I have to work with is 6ft long by 3ft wide and 6ft tall. So I’m thinking of doing a triple layer 6 cage setup or a 3 cage set up. If I did the 6 cage setup it would be 9 square feet per cage with 1 male 5 female in each cage maybe 4 females and if I did the 3 cage setup two of the cages would just be hens for eggs the other one would possibly have a male and females in it I might do 2 breeding cages at the top and two of the bigger ones at the bottom. Please let me know if this is a good idea and thank you for the input you gave earlier I would be making probably one cage at a time with how expensive lumber is now.

I have now found out the area I have to work with is 6ft long by 3ft wide and 6ft tall. So I’m thinking of doing a triple layer 6 cage setup or a 3 cage set up. If I did the 6 cage setup it would be 9 square feet per cage with 1 male 5 female in each cage maybe 4 females and if I did the 3 cage setup two of the cages would just be hens for eggs the other one would possibly have a male and females in it I might do 2 breeding cages at the top and two of the bigger ones at the bottom. Please let me know if this is a good idea and thank you for the input you gave earlier I would be making probably one cage at a time with how expensive lumber is now.
Ok yeah this is gonna be an expensive expensive project so far I’m looking at around $320 better than buying a coop but still incredibly expensive I have decided to do the 2 big cage 2 smaller cages for breeding and after I still have to make a feeder system for them and a water system which shouldn’t be to to much but it’s still gonna be around $350 hopefully I can get this done soon but right now I just don’t have the money to spare as I am 16 and don’t have a job. but when I do I will definitely make a thread and share the process of building it. I know in the end it will all be worth it and I will be justified in spending the money so that it is to my standards of what I want instead of buying a ready made coop and I just love building stuff so it should be a fun process.

Last edited:
Thinking about making a new cage/enclosure for my quail right now I have 5 adults and 9 chicks in the brooder. I was planning on making it 2 story the dimensions I’m thinking about are 4ft long 3ft wide and 2-2 1/2 ft tall but there would be two cages this big is this big enough for 9 quail and if not or you have any better cage ideas for a small back porch please send them my way. Also would it be a good idea to integrate like a reptile mister I live in fl so it’s really hot. Thank you to anyone who reads or replies. Looking forward to see what you have to say
Here is what I'm doing and so far, it's working out great. I purchased these cages:

https://amzn.to/3JLv578

I then purchased this Chicken run:

https://amzn.to/3pCjaSu

I mounted the Wabbit cages inside the chicken run. The Wabbit cages are awesome for about four to five birds easily; maybe more. But four to five is comfortable for them and I have room for a 9x6 sandbox and feeder. I use external waters on each cage:
https://amzn.to/43bSjue

This is my setup and it keeps predators out and gives the birds weather protection and air flow.

Attachments

• 20220720_093156.jpg
    20220720_093156.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20230422_081921318.jpg
    IMG_20230422_081921318.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
Here is what I'm doing and so far, it's working out great. I purchased these cages:

https://amzn.to/3JLv578

I then purchased this Chicken run:

https://amzn.to/3pCjaSu

I mounted the Wabbit cages inside the chicken run. The Wabbit cages are awesome for about four to five birds easily; maybe more. But four to five is comfortable for them and I have room for a 9x6 sandbox and feeder. I use external waters on each cage:
https://amzn.to/43bSjue

This is my setup and it keeps predators out and gives the birds weather protection and air flow.
Yeah that’s a good idea but I live in a apartment and only can have them on a screened on porch so maybe when I move into a house but right now this is what I have do use.

Yeah that’s a good idea but I live in a apartment and only can have them on a screened on porch so maybe when I move into a house but right now this is what I have do use.
Ouch, that's tough. These guys do make a mess. The cages I listed above have poop trays and they work pretty well, but I've seen these birds project their poop outside of the cage.

As far as the heat goes, I live in NW Indiana; not nearly as hot as FL but in june, july, and August, the temps run in the 90's to low 100's. I've been putting ice in their waters and have been freezing the flatter whiskey bottles for them to walk on. I realized that there was much in the way of area for several birds so I've started taking 1 gallon freezer bags, filling them about 1/4 full of water. I then push out as much air as possible and lay them flat on a baking sheet. Pop them into the freezer and it provides a thin flat piece of ice for them to stand on. Seems to be working out well so far.

As far as the heat goes, I live in NW Indiana; not nearly as hot as FL but in june, july, and August, the temps run in the 90's to low 100's. I've been putting ice in their waters and have been freezing the flatter whiskey bottles for them to walk on. I realized that there was much in the way of area for several birds so I've started taking 1 gallon freezer bags, filling them about 1/4 full of water. I then push out as much air as possible and lay them flat on a baking sheet. Pop them into the freezer and it provides a thin flat piece of ice for them to stand on. Seems to be working out well so far.
Yeah I read your thread on the ice bags it’s a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom