Quail chick chirping all day and seems to be ill

dave690

Hatching
Jun 22, 2019
one of my quail had problems hatching and has needed a lot of care I thought it was going to die several times. it is now 3 weeks old but very small compared with the others. It has been doing well but this morning I found it laying on its side sleeping. I had trouble waking it but finally it woke and is now walking but doesn't seem very interested in food or water. I has been chirping all day and only stops when being held. To keep the chick warm I had a heat pad under its box at night. I was wondering if the chick overheated but as far as I can see its not showing symptoms of heat stress. any advise would be helpful.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your chicks is upset. Did you separate it from the others? If so this is likely why it's mad.

Regarding not eating and drinking... it could be struggling with coccidiosis, maybe. It's one of the most common poultry killers at this age.

What is keeping the other chicks warm? How many are there in how much space? Are these your first quail? How do poops look?

:fl

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 other chicks at the moment. I removed the little one as the others are growing much quicker and I noticed them picking at it and dragging it by the leg. It has been away from them for a couple of weeks with no issues. the poo is well formed mostly brown with a little white. The other chick have a light to keep them warm with plenty of space.

Maybe the chick is cold? I know with my quail at 3 weeks they still had a heat source. Maybe try a heat lamp rather than a heater under the box. I just use a 60w bulb for 3 weekers.

Back
Top Bottom