Quail Chick Color Guessing Game!?

HAH! Lol nah she’s way prettier than a pigeon for sure! I love the faces they always look curious... lol

She and her half-sister are the only two chicks I got from my FAVORITE hen pre-Bear Incident. They're both really pretty medium-sized hens that prolifically lay smaller, highly patterned eggs so they're going be part of the foundation of my rainbow pet/egg line :D

IMG_20181227_144459385.jpg

So what does this entail? This sounds cool :)

She and her half-sister are the only two chicks I got from my FAVORITE hen pre-Bear Incident. They're both really pretty medium-sized hens that prolifically lay smaller, highly patterned eggs so they're going be part of the foundation of my rainbow pet/egg line :D

View attachment 1669462

Oh, you must report back on the gender of the silver. I haven't found exceptions to the silver=male, blue=female *yet*.
So are you saying that silver is always a boy? How can we tell difference between silver and blue? Man those colors are always so similar and I’m an artist! lol but when people say “blue” or grey, silver, lavender, platinum it’s like the shades are so close and all look like shades of grey to me essentially they are but with different “hues”

Ok so back to this - male female silver blue thing - have to explain that lol now remember I’m on little sleep here - I sleep next to the brooder and incubator on the floor on hatch nights on a bed made of pillows and blankets I know it sounds a bit nutty... and now I’m sleep deprived happy momma:celebrate

So what does this entail? This sounds cool :)

Basically my lines have been split into a high production larger framed group and a smaller, more colored egg and bird group going forward. The end goal for the former is commercially appealing sex linked larger celadon layers, and the latter to be more geared for pet laying flocks.

So are you saying that silver is always a boy? How can we tell difference between silver and blue? Man those colors are always so similar and I’m an artist! lol but when people say “blue” or grey, silver, lavender, platinum it’s like the shades are so close and all look like shades of grey to me essentially they are but with different “hues”

Ok so back to this - male female silver blue thing - have to explain that lol now remember I’m on little sleep here - I sleep next to the brooder and incubator on the floor on hatch nights on a bed made of pillows and blankets I know it sounds a bit nutty... and now I’m sleep deprived happy momma:celebrate
It has taken me a lot of study to even be able to *guess* at most of the blue/grey shades. See the first pic I posted of the partial tux silver male, vs the blue hen above? I am still trying to confirm they are the same gene with a gender color split but there is some anecdotal evidence to suggest that's the case. Following that, I would guess yours is a boy. My blue hens have always had dark feet as chicks. Lavender is another very similar looking but distinct gene, no clue what creates charcoal yet, and all the platinum/cream/pastel colors are called different things by practically every breeder.

I read this morning that you can tell the difference between an English white / Texas AM, and a “platinum” (I guess that’s super pale silver/pastel but not white) is the skin... I read somewhere I can’t remember because I was all over, that when born the more silvery color even though yellow will have a darker skin, the English white or Texas will have a pink skin.

One of the colors listed for the eggs I bought was Texas (which I have already anyway but wanted the other colors) and also platinum. Now I did get two bright all yellow chicks with pink skin, then there is another little yellow chick not quite as bright with grayish skin and now that he’s fluffed up you can really tell the difference - his head is a bit grey and I think he may have very very pale stripes. Hard to see them.

Anyway so yeah I have some big browns for eggs and meat that are separate and then like you I wanted a more colorful “pet” variety - not so much for the color of the eggs yet though it would be cool to have colorful eggs, but just to have a color collection for now would be cool lol no one around here seems to have anything I can find except some browns and bob whites.

So hopefully I can mess about with some color and see what I get while still having the brown separate in their pens cause I don’t want to mix them, I have spare roos in that color if I want to breed with any of these.

Yah it will be interesting to see if that little guy is a boy then. I guess it’s going to be a while for that lol. I think most of these that hatched can’t be sexed by color except Italian, I got two of those I think. There is nearly 2 of each except there is a couple odd balls like that little silver dude, and the pale yellow grey skin dude. Plus some other reddish ones I did not post, they are still fluffing a bit.

The first pic the really pale silver you posted - that is a boy? Geesh lol I would have thought it a girl I dunno why, must be the color or the face but actually the face looks a bit like my male Taco even though he’s brown. They got the same look in their eyes

Back
Top Bottom