Quail Chicks - how long can they stay in bator?

BastyPutt

Yes, your Polish is a cockerel...
May 9, 2020
Central Oregon
Hello all

I've got some celadons popping it! So far so good, but I have one who hatched last night and 10 of the other 14 are all at various stages of pipping and zipping

Rule of thumb for chicken chicks is they can sustain themselves for 72 hours after hatch before they must be removed. Because my bator is large, I usually keep them in there for about 48 regardless of circumstance.

Can the same be said for quail chicks? If not, what is their max?

Thanks!

They say a chick can last 3 days In an incubator from the nutrients it got from the egg duriing ncubation. I try2 let as many hatch as possible before I open the top. The last batch of buttons I hatched started trying 2 catch the humidity, I guess u would call it on the 2nd day. I try 2 make sure none of the others are pippin when I open the incubator. I have had 2 help a few come out of the egg because I opened when they were pippin and it made them really dry

After 12 hours I spray the surrounding air with water before cracking the lid and grabbing hatched chicks. The new chicks go into a second warmed incubator. The transfer incubator has food and water.
I live in Hawaii so the outside air is already humid but I find misting the air helps.
24 hours would be my max target for getting them fed and watered.

After 12 hours I spray the surrounding air with water before cracking the lid and grabbing hatched chicks. The new chicks go into a second warmed incubator. The transfer incubator has food and water.
I live in Hawaii so the outside air is already humid but I find misting the air helps.
24 hours would be my max target for getting them fed and watered.
Nice. Thank you. We've got some chicken chicks hatching in the other bator at the moment, or is totally do that. But for now I've got the two hatchlings moved out into a temp brooder.

I take them out as soon as they're dry. I wouldn't leave them for more than 24 hours max, though. I usually use a pipette of water to make sure humidity goes back up quickly when I open it to remove chicks.

I take them out as soon as they're dry. I wouldn't leave them for more than 24 hours max, though. I usually use a pipette of water to make sure humidity goes back up quickly when I open it to remove chicks.
Excellent. Thank you.

I have the cooler style (styrofoam) so the humidity maybe drops a percent opening it up - according to the stand alone hygrometer in there.

I've got the two hatchlings out now, and I'll be glued to this incubator for the rest of the day watching the others 🤣

Back
Top Bottom