Quail Coop Competition! Show off your hard work....

i made my coops out of pallets from work... so the only thing i bought was the wire and screws. i spent about 45 dollars for the wire and about 6 dollars on the screws. due to a predator killing all (15 or more) fancy pheasants i learned to put my coops about 4 ft off the ground.

I'm trying really hard to finish my quail pen today.
wee.gif
I just need to add the doors and roof. Do I have all day to submit the photos?

This cage was built first, it contains 2 breeding groups of brown coturnix. Some of it was barn scraps, furring strips, pallet scraps from work.

This one was built from from pallet scraps, furring strip 2x2s, and some 1x4s. The roofing material was a price mistake at lowes so I got several sheets for $8 a piece. The door locks are just a nail hole drilled at a 45 and a nail that slides in and out.

Here's my wonky creation. Don't laugh, it's the first thing I ever built.

The long side is hinged and swings up. The top hutch part is pretty much where my silkie lives, but has a ramp so that the quail can use it as shelter if they need to. The back of the hutch is also hinged for access. I need to make some modifications to it, but as it is,it cost me about $175 to build. It measures 6x8, I cover the top wire with a tarp when it rains, and my quail love playing in the grass.

@polyanvil - I LOVE the punched tin quail on the door! Beautiful!

I finally finished.....my first attempt at a quail pen and without any help from DH. Here it is! It is 30" deep and 8 feet long. It has 4 compartments that can be opened for one large pen or left closed for 4 separate pens. It has a wire top but will be changed to a metal roof when the weather cools down. It is hot in Houston this time of year so the more air flow the better. I spent close to $200 as I used all galvanized screws, hinges and latches and already had the wire on hand from my chicken coop. I haven't added the nesting boxes yet but they will be made so the egg rolls out of the nesting box into a holding area so I don't have to reach inside the nesting boxes. I am ready to get some quail now.....
ya.gif

This is the removable inside panel!

The finished pen.....

Back
Top Bottom