Quail died, need help diagnosing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Wolf19, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Wolf19

Wolf19 In the Brooder

Jan 2, 2019
    Hey everybody,

Unfortunately I found one of my button quail dead this morning, and I'd like to see if there are any signs I should look for with the body to make sure it wasn't a disease or parasite that the other quail in the cage could get. I thought the cause might have been dehydration because their waterer was having issues (but was fixed ASAP), but I'm not so sure. I wasn't worried about him because he didn't seem to fit any of the descriptions of the quail diseases I read up on but I am seeing I was mistaken to assume that.

He was lethargic/looking a little weak for a few days; he was having trouble jumping from the lower part of their cage to the upper platform when he usually doesn't. I'm not sure how much he was eating/drinking, but both of them seemed to be drinking less than usual for a bit until I fixed their waterer at which point they seemed to be drinking as much as usual or maybe a little more. I am not seeing any unusual poop in their cage. I cleaned their cage last week. I can provide photos tomorrow if needed.

It could have just been poor breeding, but he was three months old so I figured he would have died sooner like one of his hatch mates did early on if that was the case. If there's any other info I can provide give me a heads up. I will likely be doing an autopsy as well if I can't find anything from the outside.

Attached Files:

Little Jerry Seinfeld likes this.
  2. So sorry for your loss! I have no experience with buttons hope someone else can help you soon.

Wolf19 likes this.
  3. Were you able to do the autopsy?

4. DK newbie

DK newbie Songster

Apr 20, 2015
    Sorry you lost him! :hugs
    The symptoms you describe are not very specific - moving less and not showing a lot of appetite fits almost any disease a bird can get. So the autopsy is probably a really good idea. It might not show anything at all, but then you'll at least be able to rule out a lot of issues. Take pictures during the autopsy if you are unsure whether something is normal or not, then share here - we might be able to tell.

Little Jerry Seinfeld and Wolf19 like this.
  5. Wolf19

Wolf19 In the Brooder

Jan 2, 2019
    I wasn't able to do the autopsy, but his partner is doing fine physically, although she's been so stressed out since he died. :(

Little Jerry Seinfeld likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: