Quail hatching day worries! Advice?

Jun 3, 2021
Hello! This is my first hatch, I have some coturnix quail in my incubator, it's day 19 and no hatches yet. One internally pipped yesterday, I don't know when, but since there was no progress I poked a tiny hole into the air sac so she could get some fresh air. Still moving around in there, so hopefully she's ok. Im more worried about this egg though. It pipped some time last night, and just now a huge piece of shell popped off and the membrane split! I had the incubator open for just a moment to add more water (of course with my timing she pips right then!!) so I quickly closed the incubator. There is a bit of blood, none on the outside of the egg tho. I didn't see an internal pip on this one (honestly hadn't seen much movement either) so I'm worried about it. Did I shrink wrap it? Humidity is at 41% and rising (I just added a small bowl of water so it should keep going up) and the temp is 99.5! We set the eggs in the incubator 9am on March 4th! Any advice? Should I just be patient? Sorry for the pic quality, I don't want to open the incubator again. Right after it popped the shell it did wiggle a TON but then stopped. I'm so worried!
F651E74B-1799-4057-819F-B966B7165B7F.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello! This is my first hatch, I have some coturnix quail in my incubator, it's day 19 and no hatches yet. One internally pipped yesterday, I don't know when, but since there was no progress I poked a tiny hole into the air sac so she could get some fresh air. Still moving around in there, so hopefully she's ok. Im more worried about this egg though. It pipped some time last night, and just now a huge piece of shell popped off and the membrane split! I had the incubator open for just a moment to add more water (of course with my timing she pips right then!!) so I quickly closed the incubator. There is a bit of blood, none on the outside of the egg tho. I didn't see an internal pip on this one (honestly hadn't seen much movement either) so I'm worried about it. Did I shrink wrap it? Humidity is at 41% and rising (I just added a small bowl of water so it should keep going up) and the temp is 99.5! We set the eggs in the incubator 9am on March 4th! Any advice? Should I just be patient? Sorry for the pic quality, I don't want to open the incubator again. Right after it popped the shell it did wiggle a TON but then stopped. I'm so worried! View attachment 3033214

Love it! I hatched my beautiful button quail from an incubator!
Took longer than the expected 17 days to hatch (took about 20), so be patient!
I held them up to me ear and heard them peeping at me! Loudly!

Attachments

• 519E5677-6F3F-4CDF-86DF-61576E826467.jpeg
    519E5677-6F3F-4CDF-86DF-61576E826467.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 5AFC4183-A826-4640-86FC-E373699F55B4.jpeg
    5AFC4183-A826-4640-86FC-E373699F55B4.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 8
And I totally had to help crack and make openings. Just a little bit. I lost 3 because they couldn’t breathe and get out. So sad.
How did you know when you needed to help? The one I was worried about is almost fully out of the egg, but I can see some unabsorbed yolk. Ahhh this is so exciting/stressful!

Back
Top Bottom