Quail suddenly laying down puffed up and breathing fast.

MageofMist

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
I have a Chinese painted quail who is about 4 weeks old who suddenly fell ill without any sign of being sick beforehand, I heard it doing the "Whee" chirps quite loud and when I checked I saw it flopping along the cage floor trying to keep up with it's siblings and parents. I took it out and it is in a brooder for now to keep it warm and it hasn't touched the food or water, but I did dab some water on it's beak and it has shown some signs of recovery as it isn't falling on it's side now, but is still extremely weak and breathing fast, not panting, but I can see it's body moving quickly.
It is quite alert and can lift up it's head to look around and kicked when I picked it up, but other than that it isn't looking good.

My dad is making some honey water now for it to give it a small boost of energy to hopefully help it, but I would like some advice on what to do if there is anything I can do? I already put a little ACV in the water incase it is a contagious illness. All the other quail in the cage are completely fine but I am monitoring them also.

I just kept giving it the honey water, picked it up, and started breathing on it while rubbing it's back as it started getting cold despite the brooder being at 30 c and it seemed it's condition started getting worse, but after I started breathing on it and rubbing it's back, it started chirping and now it is walking around crowing to it's siblings and parents who are in the room but a separate enclosure. Keeping this here just incase someone has a similar situation and my post may be able to help.

I am keeping it in the brooder until I am sure it is fully recovered.

Note: Keep the lid on the brooder even with sick quail. I just had to grab the net as the quail tried to fly to the cage and overshot it and landed on the curtain. I have retrieved the quail. Pretty sure it has fully recovered. :p

Back
Top Bottom