Quarantine new birds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wormy270, Jun 8, 2010.

1. wormy270

wormy270 In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    I know this has been discussed in length on BYC forum, but I want to add some Bantys to my flock of seven standard hens. Whats the proper way to quarantine these new birds and introducing them to the flock so they will be accepted? Thanks

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    30 days of true isolation. Don't even wear the same clothes when feeding them and your other birds.

Watch them close for ANY signs of disease like nasal discharge, eye issues, leg issues, and strange poop.

3. wormy270

wormy270 In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Quote:Like how far away from the other chickens? Just keep them in a small cage?

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    As far as possible as in different barns or areas of your house. Birds in the same room will still spread disease.

Dog crates work well as a cage. You can keep up to 5 or 6 bantams in a large dog cage for the isolation period.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Listen to PC, as FAR as possible and careful with interaction between birds as long as you can!!!

6. churchx3

churchx3 Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    Is the guarantine necessary if you buy birds from someone who is NPIP certified?

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes, the NPIP only tests for 2 diseases most of the time...depending on the state, and so there are plenty of diseases that could be present.

8. churchx3

churchx3 Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    So if I buy from someone who is a breeder and NPIP certified the guarantine period still needs to be observed?

9. drunkdog

drunkdog Songster

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    I would say you quarantine even if your getting the new birds from the same source (hatchery, etc.) as the old ones....what your exisintg birds have may affect the new arrivals as much as the other way around [​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:"Needs" is totally up to you.

But there is no guarantee whatsoever that a "breeder" (whatever that means, other than a person who breeds chickens) does not have various diseases resident in their flock. Many many many DO. Even if it is not apparent when their flock is at home and unstressed.

Really, your best chance at avoiding introducing Bad Diseases (PC knows whereof he speaks, here - so do many others on the forum!) into your flock is a fairly strict and lengthy quarantine, for ANY birds coming in, whatever the source.

Whether to actually DO that is of course a matter of personal choice.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by