Mar 30, 2023
Petaluma, CA
We finished the aviary (or quaviary :p) last week but I haven't gotten around to making a post about it yet. I wanted to post our process for others who may be interested in building an aviary or natural-style enclosure for their quail, since @le_bwah's posts about their aviary gave me a lot of inspiration and encouragement to build my own. We made lots of mistakes throughout the process but learned a lot so hopefully it helps someone. And I know it's not perfect, so critiques/questions are welcome!

We decided to use untreated kiln-dried wood, and treated it with Internal Wood Stabilizer to weatherproof it. I saw it recommended on The Garden Coop and liked the idea of not using any pressure-treated wood around the birds. I know many have used PT wood for coops & aviaries without issue, but I wanted to try something non-toxic and the IWS was interesting to me. (FWIW, most PT wood these days is highly regulated and perfectly safe). So we spent the first week applying the IWS as directed and waiting for the wood to be ready. This involved spraying it on with a yard sprayer and letting it dry for 4-12 hours between coats.
wood.jpg

Next we prepared the area. I chose a spot in the garden that was on somewhat level ground. We spent a few days pulling a ton of foxtails and other weeds, as well as pulling up the old weed barrier that covered the area. Once the land was clear, we dug a trench that would accommodate the foundation and predator apron and took that opportunity to level the ground as best we could (this is why the trench is deeper on the top of the hill). We learned the hard way (literally) that our soil in this area is very hard clay for the most part :tongue
selection.jpg
prep.jpg
trench.jpg
trench2.jpg
trenchfinal.jpg

Next we laid out our foundation wood and marked the corners with flags to be sure we had enough space to fit everything and made sure the ground was reasonably level (if we owned the house, we would have preferred to pour a concrete slab, but alas, as renters this is what we were allowed to do). We also got some mulch and spread it around the rest of the garden area around the aviary.
flags.jpg

Then we filled the trench with gravel and attempted a final leveling of the area. Again, it's not perfectly level but we wanted it to be reasonably so. This would also (hopefully) provide some drainage and keep standing water from sitting under the frame, as the gravel provides a level & fast-draining surface, and the trench underneath should direct water down the hill. Next we assembled the foundation and applied the predator apron. We used stainless steel screws and fender washers to attach the hardware cloth to the underside of the foundation pieces, and assembled it onsite. I do wish at this point that we had put the predator apron under all that gravel rather than on top, but we were able in the end to bury the apron under about ~2-3 inches of dirt and mulch. With the foundation and predator apron built, we started assembling the walls.

gravel.jpg
apron.jpg
foundationfinal.jpg

We assembled the walls with decking screws, and attached the hardware cloth with poultry staples. Over the top of the poultry staples, we applied a redwood trim that should be reasonably weather-resistant and insect-repellant. We screwed the trim onto the walls with decking screws. We learned partway through that this stuff must absolutely be pre-drilled, after we split a few pieces:thBut it turned out to be really beautiful and provided a lot of tension and strength to the hardware cloth.
hwcloth.jpg
trim.jpg

With the walls assembled, we were ready to attach them to the foundation and get the whole thing put together. Before closing the walls in, I planted 2 muhly grasses and blocked off one corner for a sand bath. We buried the predator apron and filled the aviary with the remaining mulch. This is finally when things started feeling more fun than stressful and I got to start decorating 😅
grass.jpg
sand.jpg

Then, ta-da! We carried the walls out, attached them to the foundation one-by-one, built the door, and suddenly it was finished! We applied a single cross-brace to the roof and covered it in hardware cloth attached with more of the stainless steel screws and washers, and then it was ready for the birds. I made some little fairy houses out of hollow logs and sticks, placed a grass rabbit hideout filled with hay, added a fake monstera for extra shade/cover, and put in the food and water. (We're planning to build a bucket watering system, but it's not finished yet, so for now they're still using gravity waterers and a large saucer with pebbles that I have to empty and refill every day...) We also added a temporary tarp roof, but it didn't look as pretty in the pictures so it's not shown here 😅 We're in California, so hopefully finished with the rain until fall, and will be adding a sloped plastic poly sheet roof in the next few months.
walls.jpg
almostdone.jpg

The birds loved their new home, and weren't nearly as skittish as I expected them to be. We put them in the new enclosure at dusk, since I read that's when they would be the calmest. All was well, or so I thought... A few days later I added a camera, and discovered one of the neighborhood cats was spooking them during the night/early morning hours 😤 We had previously considered adding a "skirt" to help the ladies feel less exposed, but I thought with enough cover/hiding places they would be OK as they didn't seem to mind our dog walking by. But clearly not, so we decided to add this right away. In the meantime, for 2 nights I stacked some flat rocks up against the walls (not resting on the hw cloth but on the studs) to keep anything from peeking in. The next day, we got some wood siding, and even though I don't love the way it looks, the girls are much calmer and happier not being able to be spied on. It's 24" high so it should shield them from the wind a bit more as well. I'm thinking about painting a mural on the sides, or growing some plants to cover it. We didn't cover 2 areas, one of which is where I plan to add a "nest box" sort of enclosure where they can be completely protected from wind/elements, and another wall that I plan to cover with a vine. This wood siding is also untreated and will rot eventually, so I will be manually applying the IWS if I don't decide to paint the exterior.
tempfix.jpg
siding.jpg
siding2.jpg

Overall, the ladies seem to be loving it. Every time I go out there or check the camera they're playing in the sand pit, running/hopping around, climbing the logs, or just generally enjoying life. We still only have 1 that's laying eggs (I'm not sure who) but they're only 7 and 8 weeks old so it's fine. I'm still switching things up occasionally while I figure out what works and what doesn't. I ended up removing some of the larger logs and putting in some smaller pieces that provided a better bulk:shelter ratio. I added a new gravity waterer and a larger saucer until we can get the bucket waterer & cup system built. I add a little new bedding every few days, either mulch or Flock Fresh hay mix, or just mix up the bedding a bit to turn it over as necessary. But honestly they do a pretty good job turning it on their own, too, with their scratching and dirt bathing. I plan to do a sort of modified deep litter and clean the whole thing out once or twice a year. But we'll see how it goes, I'm still learning. I'll update here occasionally as I make new discoveries or learn new lessons in the hopes it might help someone 💚
sandbirb.jpg
logbirbs.jpg
grassbirb.jpg

General info I forgot:
  • It's 4' wide, 8' long, and 8' tall. It's taller than it needs to be, but we used 8' studs and wanted to make as few cuts as possible so that's the height it is.
  • We used 19g 1/2" PVC-coated hardware cloth throughout from CritterFence. I'm glad we did, the black looks so nice and it was much easier to handle than the uncoated stuff.
  • Our yard is fully fenced, but we have coyotes, foxes, possums, skunks, raccoons, rats, owls, hawks, and snakes in my area so those were the main predators I had in mind while building.
  • The predator apron is 24"
  • There are currently 5 quail residing in the aviary, all jumbos.

This is the current state of things. Once we can get the real roof added, paint/cover the siding, finish building the nest box, and get the vine growing on the wall nearest the door it will be done! Well, until I decide what the next iteration will be, that is 😅 (the powder sprinkled around is First Saturday Lime, to deter insects from the Quaviary and my plants).
IMG_3504.jpeg

Over the weekend we built a couple small raised planters out of some recycled wood we found in a wood pile on the property (I think it's redwood but can't be sure, doesn't look pressure-treated). Placed one on the sunniest wall over the predator apron so it will work as sort of a gopher-resistant "raised bed," and planted some California native grapes in it.

Also added a redwood lattice that we'll pop out from the aviary wall with a spacer, to (hopefully) keep the grapes from invading the walls too much. I'm expecting to have to train/trim it pretty aggressively to keep it off the hw cloth and on the lattice, but it should give some nice summer shade, and the flowers & fruits will feed pollinators and wild birds 😊 And the quail can eat the grapes, too!

It's a variety called "Roger's Red," which is actually a naturally-occurring hybrid between the local native grape and a European species, and it got that name because it's deciduous and will show off some pretty dramatic color changes in the fall. I figure its deciduous nature will also allow some more sun to come back in during the cooler months. We'll see how it works out!

grapes.jpg

We finished the aviary (or quaviary :p) last week but I haven't gotten around to making a post about it yet. I wanted to post our process for others who may be interested in building an aviary or natural-style enclosure for their quail, since @le_bwah's posts about their aviary gave me a lot of inspiration and encouragement to build my own. We made lots of mistakes throughout the process but learned a lot so hopefully it helps someone. And I know it's not perfect, so critiques/questions are welcome!

We decided to use untreated kiln-dried wood, and treated it with Internal Wood Stabilizer to weatherproof it. I saw it recommended on The Garden Coop and liked the idea of not using any pressure-treated wood around the birds. I know many have used PT wood for coops & aviaries without issue, but I wanted to try something non-toxic and the IWS was interesting to me. (FWIW, most PT wood these days is highly regulated and perfectly safe). So we spent the first week applying the IWS as directed and waiting for the wood to be ready. This involved spraying it on with a yard sprayer and letting it dry for 4-12 hours between coats.
View attachment 3517393

Next we prepared the area. I chose a spot in the garden that was on somewhat level ground. We spent a few days pulling a ton of foxtails and other weeds, as well as pulling up the old weed barrier that covered the area. Once the land was clear, we dug a trench that would accommodate the foundation and predator apron and took that opportunity to level the ground as best we could (this is why the trench is deeper on the top of the hill). We learned the hard way (literally) that our soil in this area is very hard clay for the most part :tongue
View attachment 3517421View attachment 3517422View attachment 3517395View attachment 3517398View attachment 3517423

Next we laid out our foundation wood and marked the corners with flags to be sure we had enough space to fit everything and made sure the ground was reasonably level (if we owned the house, we would have preferred to pour a concrete slab, but alas, as renters this is what we were allowed to do). We also got some mulch and spread it around the rest of the garden area around the aviary.
View attachment 3517424

Then we filled the trench with gravel and attempted a final leveling of the area. Again, it's not perfectly level but we wanted it to be reasonably so. This would also (hopefully) provide some drainage and keep standing water from sitting under the frame, as the gravel provides a level & fast-draining surface, and the trench underneath should direct water down the hill. Next we assembled the foundation and applied the predator apron. We used stainless steel screws and fender washers to attach the hardware cloth to the underside of the foundation pieces, and assembled it onsite. I do wish at this point that we had put the predator apron under all that gravel rather than on top, but we were able in the end to bury the apron under about ~2-3 inches of dirt and mulch. With the foundation and predator apron built, we started assembling the walls.

View attachment 3517437View attachment 3517438View attachment 3517436

We assembled the walls with decking screws, and attached the hardware cloth with poultry staples. Over the top of the poultry staples, we applied a redwood trim that should be reasonably weather-resistant and insect-repellant. We screwed the trim onto the walls with decking screws. We learned partway through that this stuff must absolutely be pre-drilled, after we split a few pieces:thBut it turned out to be really beautiful and provided a lot of tension and strength to the hardware cloth.
View attachment 3517439View attachment 3517440

With the walls assembled, we were ready to attach them to the foundation and get the whole thing put together. Before closing the walls in, I planted 2 muhly grasses and blocked off one corner for a sand bath. We buried the predator apron and filled the aviary with the remaining mulch. This is finally when things started feeling more fun than stressful and I got to start decorating 😅
View attachment 3517442View attachment 3517444

Then, ta-da! We carried the walls out, attached them to the foundation one-by-one, built the door, and suddenly it was finished! We applied a single cross-brace to the roof and covered it in hardware cloth attached with more of the stainless steel screws and washers, and then it was ready for the birds. I made some little fairy houses out of hollow logs and sticks, placed a grass rabbit hideout filled with hay, added a fake monstera for extra shade/cover, and put in the food and water. (We're planning to build a bucket watering system, but it's not finished yet, so for now they're still using gravity waterers and a large saucer with pebbles that I have to empty and refill every day...) We also added a temporary tarp roof, but it didn't look as pretty in the pictures so it's not shown here 😅 We're in California, so hopefully finished with the rain until fall, and will be adding a sloped plastic poly sheet roof in the next few months.
View attachment 3517452View attachment 3517446

The birds loved their new home, and weren't nearly as skittish as I expected them to be. We put them in the new enclosure at dusk, since I read that's when they would be the calmest. All was well, or so I thought... A few days later I added a camera, and discovered one of the neighborhood cats was spooking them during the night/early morning hours 😤 We had previously considered adding a "skirt" to help the ladies feel less exposed, but I thought with enough cover/hiding places they would be OK as they didn't seem to mind our dog walking by. But clearly not, so we decided to add this right away. In the meantime, for 2 nights I stacked some flat rocks up against the walls (not resting on the hw cloth but on the studs) to keep anything from peeking in. The next day, we got some wood siding, and even though I don't love the way it looks, the girls are much calmer and happier not being able to be spied on. It's 24" high so it should shield them from the wind a bit more as well. I'm thinking about painting a mural on the sides, or growing some plants to cover it. We didn't cover 2 areas, one of which is where I plan to add a "nest box" sort of enclosure where they can be completely protected from wind/elements, and another wall that I plan to cover with a vine. This wood siding is also untreated and will rot eventually, so I will be manually applying the IWS if I don't decide to paint the exterior.
View attachment 3517461View attachment 3517459View attachment 3517466

Overall, the ladies seem to be loving it. Every time I go out there or check the camera they're playing in the sand pit, running/hopping around, climbing the logs, or just generally enjoying life. We still only have 1 that's laying eggs (I'm not sure who) but they're only 7 and 8 weeks old so it's fine. I'm still switching things up occasionally while I figure out what works and what doesn't. I ended up removing some of the larger logs and putting in some smaller pieces that provided a better bulk:shelter ratio. I added a new gravity waterer and a larger saucer until we can get the bucket waterer & cup system built. I add a little new bedding every few days, either mulch or Flock Fresh hay mix, or just mix up the bedding a bit to turn it over as necessary. But honestly they do a pretty good job turning it on their own, too, with their scratching and dirt bathing. I plan to do a sort of modified deep litter and clean the whole thing out once or twice a year. But we'll see how it goes, I'm still learning. I'll update here occasionally as I make new discoveries or learn new lessons in the hopes it might help someone 💚
View attachment 3517467View attachment 3517473View attachment 3517474
Oh my gosh, great build and great photos—you and your birds are gonna love it!

Update on the aviary: Things are going well! Here's a little album with some videos of the little buggers enjoying their home:
The birds
  • The two from SWGB seemed so confident and calm when they arrived, but I'm now chalking that up to shipping shock! The falb fee (whom I handfed supplemental food and water for several days) has turned out to be my shy one and will now not let me near her! The pearl is somewhat less nervous, but does not take treats from me and will not come close. My 3 pharoahs have calmed significantly in their 3rd week in the aviary, and now seem to have learned both the word "treats" and associated the clicking of my tongue with receiving them. They come to me and take treats from my hand eagerly, which brings me immense joy. They also run around me and come close to investigate me when I sit in the aviary. I hope the pearl and falb will settle similarly. It has, after all, only been 2 weeks for them.

The structure
  • I am so glad we added the 24" siding all around the bottom! The quail seem much more secure and calm, it provides some additional shade (which is nice now that it's warming up), and I am not worried at all about the neighborhood cat (or anything else) spooking them through the wire anymore. It also gives the building a more structured, polished look. I'll try to get a full picture this week!
  • We're planning to install the automatic watering system this weekend. It's been a nightmare getting the bucket rigged up with a coupling that doesn't leak, but we finally figured it out and are ready to glue the whole thing together and install it. The birds will be glad I'm not going in twice a day to clean their saucer and bowl!
  • We're planning our first addition! A 4'x2' "nest box." It will be basically a replica of our grow-out box, but with a solid roof and attached to the aviary. The idea is for it to be a fully enclosed area where they can escape wind, sleep, lay eggs, hide, etc. It will be made of 3/4" plywood with a slanted roof and a weatherproof roof (we're still workshopping that). I'm sure they may not use it all that much, but they do seem to use the small grass boxes I have in there now so I expect they will use it enough to justify the cost & effort of making it (we hope 😅). It definitely won't be replacing any of the other cover in the main area.
  • I am kinda regretting adding hay to the nesting areas... the wood chip mulch was so nice, and the hay was just meant to provide a warmer/softer material in the areas where they were laying eggs and resting during the day... but of course they kicked it all around, and it blew everywhere, so now there's hay all over the enclosure mixed with the mulch and it's probably fine but... it looks messy, and smells a bit more than before. It doesn't smell bad, just... noticeable. I might rake it out. Or not. But I do wish I'd kept it to just the mulch, or perhaps kept the hay to a more enclosed space like the planned "nest box."

The plants
  • Of the outside vines planted for cover/shade, the black-eyed susan vine appears to be the only one growing 😒 Gardening is always a practice in patience, isn't it?
  • The grapes and passionflower haven't budged, but... it's only been like 10 days, hasn't it? I'll give them more time...
  • The muhly grass on the inside is definitely growing, which is surprising since the birds' favorite digging spots seems to be around its roots. I've placed a few rocks around the bottom of the plant to protect it for a little while, as the poor thing was all but dug up completely this morning after I watered it 😆 The little monsters.

Back
Top Bottom