Queen Highdramaneeds is at it again.

Keep your ears open .. I'm interested now..
roll.png

If she mentions:

cath lab
ICD
defibrilator
ablation
EP

etc ..

.. then it's a cath lab procedure and NOT open heart surgery. People will frequently say they've had "heart surgery" when they've had a cath lab procedure (stent, ppm, icd, ep study, ablation) .. open heart is WAY MORE invasive.. these are all outpatient procedures.

Last edited:
Not to start a feud or anything but when DS was conceived we were using pills AND condoms too... seniors in HS... not the smartest timing, but I honestly can't say I regret it.

I think dear old Sis could give your coworker a run for her title.

ANYWHO... heart problems absolutely can crop up during childbirth... it's a LOT of strain. But mostly, I think?, that crops up most in people who already had a problem... hence docs making sure they understand the risk they're taking... leaving the child without a mother just to have it... damage can be done that lasts the rest of your life even with a healthy heart. But if she had a problem before, irregular heartbeat, then she SHOULD have known... pediatrician as a child should have caught it... but at the very LEAST her OB/GYN should have. That's one of the big things for pregnant women... check the heart, check the BP, check the blood sugar... if the OB didn't notice a thing beforehand then it's possible it wasn't there OR that it was an EXTREMELY small, as in undetectable, problem.

Which means the labor must have been horrific to cause THAT much damage all in one go. Heck I've known people who had a HOLE in their hearts make it to grandparenthood before having surgery... and that was with drinking and smoking thrown in... so labor had to have been REALLY bad to go from little/no problem to open heart surgery... but it CAN happen... rare I think, but possible.

And I donno if they'd have to do full on open heart or not (that's hello to heal from) or if they could go over and through to install a pacemaker... ask for details... if she knows details it's possible she isn't just doing this for drama... if she doesn't have a clue then she's fibbing OR just doesn't give a crap... I for one would be interrogating the docs, pulling old records, researching like a maniac... etc.

For the girl's sake I hope Mom's just overreacting... or worst case they can do the easier (no sternum shears) way.

The darnedest things can cause the human heart to do the darnedest things..
hmm.png

Quote:
I was in labor for 18 and went into heart failure right after my son was delivered. The nurses messed around for almost an hour before they figured out what was wrong and brought the crash cart up from the ER. Totally NOT a fun expierence! Found out later it was caused by the pain meds they gave me (which didn't work anyway) and they stopped using it during labor after me.

I think I know what Deb is going through..... It's harder to deal with when it's a child or grandchild of a DQ. They live through their progeny.

I worked with a woman who had Everything Worse Than You Or Me or Anyone Else. That character on SNL makes me laugh because it was almost like that. Really.

This gal had a brain cancer scare after I was diagnosed with breast cancer. She spoke of uterine ablation years earlier when I had a vaginal hysterectomy. Her tonsils grew back when someone had theirs out, and the new set went bad, too.

We always suspected she would grow a third breast and get cancer in it, or her gall bladder and appendix would simultaneously rupture, because a co-worker broke an ankle, and this gal talked about having had broken a leg in TEN places as child.

She performed CPR on the roadside with a complete stranger, she said, dialing 9-1-1 between compressions, and saved him, when I marvelled about my (then) boyfriend performing the Heimlich maneuver on a restaurant guest at the table next to ours.... (the restaurant didn't comp the fellow's meal! The staff just stood around whilst the guy choked. We thought wait persons had training; well, my BF was an officer and EMT and he got up, went over, did his thing, checked on the guy, and came back and sat down. The patient also finished his meal... Nice little story until the DQ heard it and had to top it.)

Back
Top Bottom