Question about free-rangeing

RebelFord81

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2023
Windham, Ohio
What time of day does everyone let their hens out. I have 5 adult hens and 9 4 month old pullts that I have been letting out a little bit at a time and they're doing well. I don't typically let anybody out until 4/5. Is that too late in the day? Should I just let them out and leave the door open? I'm literally home all day.

What time of day does everyone let their hens out. I have 5 adult hens and 9 4 month old pullts that I have been letting out a little bit at a time and they're doing well. I don't typically let anybody out until 4/5. Is that too late in the day? Should I just let them out and leave the door open? I'm literally home all day.
I vary the time of day I let my chickens out so predators won't be waiting for them and keep them behind 3 strands of electric fence .The more you protect them the better the odds a predator won't kill them all.I added 15 more chickens to my flock after deciding to let them out of their contained run

Is that too late in the day? Should I just let them out and leave the door open? I'm literally home all day.
I used to let mine out at dawn.. to "free range" the property.. but I ended up with a LOT of hidden nests under blackberry thorned bushes which skirt my entire property.. especially during the long nice days of summer.

Now I have am enclosed run.. and only allow free range time (outside of that) in the evenings.

Letting them out only for a short period before dusk.. keeps them closer to home.. not hopping the fence to the neighbors, etc.

I have lost a (broody's) chick here or there to aerial predators.. and had to go on lock down until the pressure was gone (hawk realized the buffet was closed and moved on to easier picking)..

All that basically to say.. that for me it's adaptive.. to time of year (soon it will be dark at 5), predator load, weather pattern, etc.. there's no truly right answer.. just whatever works for you at the time.. Hidden nests.. is my number one reason not to free range all day.. but when I lived in the city and didn't have an acre of blackberries.. that wasn't my issue.. so adapting to your set up, environment, etc.. and figuring out the ins and outs of YOUR flock natter.. My example.. it was a specific EE that would ALWAYS be searching for the new place to lay.. IF she thought the other nest was being raided due to daily egg collection (fake eggs help show the nest is safe).. but also due to her place in the pecking order. Other hens would notice.. then it was monkey see chicken do. It was a (different) EE and a Leghorn that always wanted to go over the fence to the neighbors.. a wing clipping stopped that (ground predators are not my issue INSIDE my fence).. which I've never had to consider wing clipping on my heavier breed ladies like Orpington or Rock.

Those 4 month olds should be getting closer to laying (depending on breed) and may soon start deciding where they will lay.. When I know I have some coming into lay.. I don't want them to have time to look for a better place.

Oh wait I got another one.. boy do I hate that the birds wanna poop all over my patio and hang out near the back door pooping on everything (during certain hours of the day, their hang out spot changes with the sun/rain).. but also they would come running EVERY time I opened the door or went out back.. which put a lot of pressure on me.. I did make the effort using treats at ONLY a specific time of day.. to teach them to mostly ignore me until the right time.. whatever we do.. animals adapt well to schedules and routines.

One draw back to constantly free ranging.. is then the birds don't know how to act when they are on lock down due to predator load etc.. more pacing and vocal complaining.

Anyways.. I hope this gives you some things to consider.. :)

It varies. Most days I don't let them free-range on pasture until after 2-3pm, just to be sure the morning chores (eggs) are mostly done in the nesting boxes. I don't want them to find a nice bush or rock pile somewhere to start a clutch. But our predator load is heavy at times, so when I notice the roosters are unusually agitated or watchful, I won't let them out of the run at all some days. Sometimes it's as late as 5-6 pm, or as early as 9-10 am. I keep it varied so the predators don't identify a pattern and lay in wait. Also depends on our outdoor activities. If I plan to be away from the farm for a portion of the day, they don't get to go out until I return, or not at all. Or if I plan to do yard work or be outside most of the day, I'll let them out as early as I am.
Edited to add: I keep an eye on the weather forecast. If any weather event is coming, they stay IN the run.

The more time they have out in the sun, the better. I have had a terrible time with predators the past year, even with an electric net fence. Weasels aren't stopped by the fence. Weasels are now gone and my girls are outside about 7 hours a day. The rest of the time they are in a crate in my entry because I'm now very worried about predators. I keep their feed in the crate so they have reason to come inside. Otherwise, they free range around the house.

Most of their free range space is wooded we have 8 acres and 6 is wooded minus what is around the house. The enclosed run is small until we add on so I'm trying to let them out as much as possible. We have the addition but our sewer pipe replacement is taking precedent right now lol

mine are out dawn till dusk, and there are no fences here. Having roos helps deter predators I think; the flock also gets better at evading them with practice of course.
Most of their free range space is wooded we have 8 acres and 6 is wooded minus what is around the house.
Your flock is likely to enjoy the woods but won't venture far unless it is a barren monoculture of e.g. pines and they have to go far to find decent forage. If it's mixed broadleaf woodland with understorey they will love it, and be difficult for predators to find. Offer them food that they like at tea time to encourage them to come home promptly to roost until good habits are formed. It also helps to train them to come on call (with mealworms or something similar that they'll come running for) for those occasions when you want to lock them up early.

You have to decide what is best for you, your location, weather, space, predators, number of birds, make up of your flock, types of birds, ages, forage opportunities, etc.

Mine vary from not at all to all day until they roost.

I've got babies right now and I'm keeping them all in the run for an hour after door open so they fill up on pellets when they are hungry first thing, before they are let out onto the grass, so they don't use grass as their staple diet.

Your situation is probably very different.

Back
Top Bottom