noodledoodle

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2020
is it ok to use limestone inside of my duck house? my floor is dirt in the duck house which isn’t an issue with my 6 older ducks as they do not eat or drink inside of their house at night and have the option to come in and out as they please the entire day, but i have 11 younger babies and they drink A LOt of freaking water tsk i have to give them water in their cage over night. they are about 4 weeks, and they’ve got it absolutely disgusting in their and soakingggg wet, so i need to toil all the dirt up today and wanted to know if it Limestone if it’s pulverized would be ok to mix into the dirt while u toil it all up, bc i know limestone can neutralize quit a bit of stuff. PLEASE SOMEONE REPLY SOON I NEED TO START DOING THIS ASAP Lol.

Limestone shouldn't prove to be any problem. While it's water soluble, it requires very acidic water to dissolve it, and it would require decades, maybe centuries to do so.

I asked about this recently, seems the dolomite in it is the issue, now I can’t remember what is in it that kills them but ingesting the dolomite is bad news. Almost all limestone everywhere has dolomite veins in it so unless it’s being processed for birds it’s going to be mixed in in whatever quantities went into the crusher. My duck house sits on it, I noticed them picking at it so I now make sure they have better choices for grit. Also stones keep coming up in my bumblefoot research as Causing injuries That lead to bumblefoot, certainly crushed limestone is rough on duck feet too.

I asked about this recently, seems the dolomite in it is the issue, now I can’t remember what is in it that kills them but ingesting the dolomite is bad news. Almost all limestone everywhere has dolomite veins in it so unless it’s being processed for birds it’s going to be mixed in in whatever quantities went into the crusher. My duck house sits on it, I noticed them picking at it so I now make sure they have better choices for grit. Also stones keep coming up in my bumblefoot research as Causing injuries That lead to bumblefoot, certainly crushed limestone is rough on duck feet too.
it’s like a really really fine powder it’s called pro aglime for agriculture uses like in soil and gardens... would that still cause an issue i will post a photo i don’t see that it says dolomite on the bag but idk is that something that they’d even list?? i haven’t used it yet bc i wanted to be 100% about it first

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 5
it’s like a really really fine powder it’s called pro aglime for agriculture uses like in soil and gardens... would that still cause an issue i will post a photo i don’t see that it says dolomite on the bag but idk is that something that they’d even list?? i haven’t used it yet bc i wanted to be 100% about it first
I can’t say, we have a limestone quarry locally. They sell ag lime, I suspect it’s an accepted thing that it is a common ingredient in limestone

Lime is different from limestone. Processing limestone to derive lime products from it will make the components much more concentrated.

If you are using raw, pulverized limestone, it would be little different from most sand, but lime, ag lime or hydrated lime, are much different and can be caustic. I wouldn't recommend using lime where poultry are living.

Back
Top Bottom