Question about the rooster's comb?

ccmarinho

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
I was just wondering if it is normal for the red on the rooster's comb to rub off? There is red on the feeder where the rooster eats. And the red rubs off onto your hand if you touch it. My husband and I are new to raising chickens, so I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong! Thank you all so much for your feedback!

welcome-byc.gif

No, as far as I know, it's not normal.

Could it be blood? Or maybe frostbite?

What kind of rooster and what type of comb does he have?

Quote:
I've never heard of that...are you sure it isnt blood? Sometimes they'll get a small injury to their combs or wattles and it might bleed abit. Also, the hens will peck at the sight of blood possibly making it worse.

Quote:
I've never heard of that...are you sure it isnt blood? Sometimes they'll get a small injury to their combs or wattles and it might bleed abit. Also, the hens will peck at the sight of blood possibly making it worse.

Dang Dawg, great minds think alike?
wink.png

Quote:

wink.png

Now Gritty, no need to hurt Dawg's feelings......
hide.gif
love.gif
, ya know...

To the OP- it could be blood, combs bleed copiously. But, another option is that it's being chafed by the feeder opening and the very thin skin on the comb is being abraded.

Quote:
wink.png

Now Gritty, no need to hurt Dawg's feelings......
hide.gif
love.gif
, ya know...

To the OP- it could be blood, combs bleed copiously. But, another option is that it's being chafed by the feeder opening and the very thin skin on the comb is being abraded.

Ranchy, Txchick over on FB and you here! What did you two get together while I was napping and decide it was pick on Kat day?
tongue.gif

love.gif

Back
Top Bottom