Question for sellers-do you replace eggs for bad hatches-when and why?

hmmm, I had someone that wants one of my araucana cockerals. I wonder how much it is to ship from Maine to Mass? Who did you use to ship?
the eggs I got from birch run farms were absolutely fine, air cells intact. I got 2 of 7(?) to hatch which is awesome for a tuftedxtufted breeding, not to mention they were shipped so the rate was good.

I did set some of the *wet ones* from the broken (3 dozen) I got that I mentioned before. Some actually did hatch, I was shocked. I had them separated and everything just in case..

Krista,

I went to the post office. I do recommend you call your local PO to let them know what you are shipping and the destination then ask what time you need to have the box there. I posted a detailed report on the ACA forum.

Quote:
Maine to Mass should be in the same "zone" so on the lower end. Express mail is what ou will have to use. I believe USPS is the only one that will ship live birds (last I knew, anyway). You will have to find a USPS approved shipping container for it, though.

To find what it will cost, weigh the bird (you'll have to guess on the box weight, I guess) then go to www.usps.com and calculate shipping. Once you put in the zips and weight, look at the express price and that's what it'll cost (or similar, depending on how off you are with the weight).

Even though I have a hovabator 1588 and keep my humidity steady, I don't usually put any blame on the seller for low hatch rates. I just had two batches of eggs. One was 12+ eggs and I got 3 to hatch, the other was 8+ and I got 1 chick that died a few days later. It was a bummer, but I guess it was just cold weather during shipping. I did have a guy that threw my eggs in with peanuts and nothing else and most broke, and none hatched. I asked the seller (BYC member) to refund based on the fact that the eggs had no protection whatsoever. He refused.

I'm the person who sent Melissa a PM that she referenced in post #87 that had 9 of 14 her Favorelles hatch.

The last 2 that were peeping but not pipped on day 23..... I just found them chirping and cheeping alive and well!!! That's 11 of 14 Favorelles hatched from Pasofino stock folks... with eggs that some folks think are hard to hatch.

Just for comparsion, at the same time I had 9 of 12 Sussex hatch received from another BYC member but lost one last night.

And I was 0 for 16 for some Marans, again another BYC/ E-bay person. All in the same incubator..all shipped in and arrived here the same day. Two definitely had much better packaging than the other.

Was the 0 of 16 box of eggs handled differently through the USPS? The box didn't appear to be damaged. But the packaging was definitely better on my successfully hatched eggs.

Now, next time if I do my job better and tweak the humidity and temperature up just a little where it should have been, I'm going for a 100% hatch. Send those GCM on Monday Melissa!!!

I haven't read this whole thread, so pardon me if this has already been said. I don't think you should feel obligated to send replacement eggs. Once the eggs leave your possession you have no control over the conditions the eggs experience. You should not have to compensate for inexperienced hatchers, bad incubators, rough handling, bad storage, eggs being left in the cold, etc. Your customers should know this. I say this from the point of view of someone who has never shipped eggs, but has recieved shipped eggs.

Go Faverolles!

I will never know for sure what causes one person to have a great hatch and another a dismal hatch but I am sure it is a combination of so many things. I just hope that each seller is carefull to maintain healthy parent stock, provide fresh, clean, fertile eggs and pack the best that they can. I hope that the PO will be kind to our precious eggs and I hope that every buyer will be concientious and honest about hatch failures.

I think that those that have participated in this thread have a better perspective of both sides of making hatching eggs hatch and for that I am glad. This thread was born of frustration at a series of bad hatches and loss of my time in dealing with those as a seller and some of my comments are probably not my proudest moments. But through this I have had many PMs and e-mails to say 'hey, MY hatch went great!" .... so I will close with saying that as a buyer please remember to also give feedback when things go RIGHT... It makes such a difference to those of us who labor on the other end of a good hatch.

Be Blessed,
Melissa

I'll preface this with a bit of background.

I breed and ship live tropical fish - for a living. I've shipped tens of thousands of boxes to all parts of the country (and other countries) in the dead of winter. My death rate on arrival is under 1% - way under 1%. I guarantee live delivery. If they don't make it, I pay for the shipping to get the next group there, even if it's late due to the carrier or weather. (Express mail and UPS Next Day) It can run over $100 per box. None of my competition pays for re-shipments - I get a lion's share of the business.

Customers are looking for someone who knows what they're doing. They want as little risk as possible for their hard-earned money and will give it to someone confident enough in their shipping methods to give that guarantee - I am! And, yes they will pay more for this peace-of-mind.

I experimented for months getting my packaging and shipping methods just right. I know my loss rate and am more than willing to lose money on some orders - it's simply good business to give the customer an iron clad guarantee - unless you can't figure out how to get them there in good shape - in that case you won't be getting much repeat business.

I have experimented with packing eggs and I've come up with a method that will allow me to repeatedly kick the box about 10-15 feet (with my foot) and not have a single egg break. I've also found that air cells rupture more with certain packing materials and methods.

Here is what I'll do when I start selling hatching eggs.

I will guarantee unbroken eggs of the number ordered at the time of delivery. If broken, I will pay to re-ship the eggs. I will not advertise (extras if available) unless they are indeed available. - nothing more aggravating to a customer than to expect something and then not get them.

I will not guarantee a hatch rate, but will tell them exactly what to expect from results of other shipped-eggs from the same group of hens. They will get a range that others have experienced I will make sure this is very clear before the order goes out, and then will handle any serious non-hatch issues on an individual basis. I have found that most people will reward generosity with future business and with recommendations to their friends. In the long run, it pays. You can't let a few people who will take advantage of your generosity, prevent you from being generous. Just accept the fact that some dishonest people will make out.

In my fish business niche, most of my competition know exactly what I do (most have started with my stock), yet they still do not follow my lead. They have not learned that superior customer service and customer satisfaction is a great way to increase your orders and thus the money you can make.

This is not a stab at anyone in this thread who feels differently. It's just an overview of what I've found to work in business and how I plan on dealing with any hatching egg business I get in the future.

I'm sorry, but I would not guarantee a hatch.

I have spoken with enough people that have no idea of how to incubate eggs. I can't fix stupidity or their ignorance and can't be held responsible for their bad hatch.

They need to do research before ordering eggs for shipment.

Reputable sellers will ship eggs responsibly. Responsible buyers will research sellers to see if they're reputable. (just my two cents)

Back
Top Bottom