QUESTION ON BLOOD WORK FOR A FAIR

Dr. John I. Enck, Jr., Director, Animal Industry, Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, 2301 North Cameron
Street, Harrisburg 17110. Phone: (717)783-6677, FAX: (717)787-1868.

There is the phone number for who you call about the NPIP program.

I think it is free nationwide.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/npipagencies.pdf

Here is a website that shows you the step by step procedure. http://www.poultryhelp.com/npip2k2.html

Last edited:
Need to check with your local Agriculture Dept.. They have progams for this. You can learn and get certified,but you can't test your own birds. So you need someone else in your area to get certified to test your chickens.

You may also check with you local 4-H group.
wink.png

Quote:
A lady with the 4-H said she would take the class with me because they couldn't find anyone to do it.

But I was told I could test my own chickens.

Currently in PA you have to have a *AI testing done within 90 days of a show or fair and Pullorum within 30 days of a show or fair. You might want to contact the Ag Dept. in Tunkhannock and inquire on if/when they will be holding the class again. Once licensed, you will be able to test your own birds and other backyard flocks (commerical flocks require additional classes). You can buy the Pullorum supplies and test for that yourself, but AI must be sent to Harrisburg. You can also request both tests be done in Harrisburg as well. It typically takes 1-2 weeks for the results to be mailed back to you. There is no charge from the state for these tests if sent in to them. There is also no charge for the class, only a 10.00 yearly fee for your license.

If you want to test for Pullorum yourself, you must buy the antigen (around 80.00) and the plastic test box. You can also build a box. I believe those boxes run around 100.00 if purchased.

Also, if you find a licensed poultry tech in your area to pull blood for you, they may charge a fee for their service, gas, express shipping charge to mail the blood to the Lab, etc. It really all depends upon the person doing it.

*EDIT: I checked my notes, Pullorum must be done within 90 days of a show, AI is 180 days.

Best Wishes,
~Nikki

Last edited:
Just mt 2 cents for what it's worth.I think all birds should be tested before they are entered.For this reason:if they test the day of the show and a bird is contagious,they will contaminate the whole flock in the show.They do not get any results until weeks later,and by then it's to late.Then what happens?Well I'm sure the state has everyones name and address that entered birds.And I'm sure everyone will be visited by the state officals and birds will be quaranted and naybe destroyed.Please get your birds tested and your result and ask others showing to do the same.We don't need the state to start closing swaps because of contaminated birds.Protect your birds as best as you can.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom