Question on everbearing raspberries? Thank you

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So... with everbearing raspberries do you need to keep pruning them to keep the raspberries coming? Or do you just make sure it has a lot of water? What's the best thing to do to make sure the raspberries keep coming?

I'm a bit worried about this partly because I'm in southwest climate which isn't that great for raspberries anyway, though it is possible. Someone I used to know seemed to be able to keep them producing for a few months but that person isn't around to ask anymore.

I'd started the bush last year mid year so it was too small to produce then also. So this year is the first real opportunity to get it going. And I want to know what I need to do to optimize its production.

Thank you for anyone reading this and listening. :)

Happy gardening year!

We have everbearing raspberries. They like to be watered. We find that they do not like getting overly hot, so you may want to use some kind of shade canopy -shade cloth that blocks 30% or so of the sun. Or blocks the afternoon sun. We have raspberries on the south side of a metal barn, old (matte) white paint. It is too hot for them there in zone 6A. The raspberries cook. But, in their own full sun spot, not next to a building, they do great. We cut down old/spent canes in the winter/early spring.

We have everbearing raspberries. They like to be watered. We find that they do not like getting overly hot, so you may want to use some kind of shade canopy -shade cloth that blocks 30% or so of the sun. Or blocks the afternoon sun. We have raspberries on the south side of a metal barn, old (matte) white paint. It is too hot for them there in zone 6A. The raspberries cook. But, in their own full sun spot, not next to a building, they do great. We cut down old/spent canes in the winter/early spring.
Thank you very much for the reply.

Do I need to keep pruning them all year during berry season to keep them going?

This is very exciting the fact that people can build the very same things they can get in the stores without having to be a wage slave.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Do I need to keep pruning them all year during berry season to keep them going?

This is very exciting the fact that people can build the very same things they can get in the stores without having to be a wage slave.
I dont think so - we don't. We pick what is there and they produce more. I'd have to research to see if yield would be higher if we actually paid attention to them during the season (other than picking raspberries and watering them during dry spells). Our produce until frost. But, never a whole lot at any one time - perfect for adding a few berries to breakfast, for example, but less perfect for jam making.

Back
Top Bottom