1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

QUESTION ON GOOSE INCUBATION!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by muscovy94, Jan 23, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Songster

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey yall I have 2 quick questions i would like to ask. my first question is, when you cool the eggs once a day, do you just open the bator or do take the eggs completely out?

and my second question is, what is the proper humidity for incubating goose eggs?

Thanks. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. muscovy94

muscovy94 Songster

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    anyone?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I open the incubator and use that time to candle them and mist them.

4. banter

banter Songster

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I kept my 'bator running because it was SO hard to maintain it's temp. I just took out the eggs for 10-15 minuets and placed them on a damp towel. I sprinkled them with warm water when I placed them back. You don't need to start to do that until day four or five.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Do the same, use warm water.

6. muscovy94

muscovy94 Songster

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    ok thanks everyone, but what should the hygrometer read?

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I kept mine at around 65% for the first 25 days then boosted it to 85% until hatch. Don't rush it though. Geese can pip on day 28 and not actually hatch until Day 32+.

8. muscovy94

muscovy94 Songster

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Quote:ok thanks. Oh and i know this is a little off topic, but if you dont mind, could you please post a pic of your sebastopol? I saw on another post that you have just one. but if you cant thats fine. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. papagoose

papagoose In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I built my own incubator out of a cooler and had an "eggcellent" hatch rate except for the time the light bulb burned out and I didn't catch it in time (I lost all of that hatch.) I had a staggered hatch and would write the date I put them into the 'bator and the projected hatch date on the shell in pencil.

Each day I would open the 'bator and set a timer for 15 minutes. I would candle and do whatever else I needed to do and mist the eggs before I closed the 'bator for the day. I tried to maintain 65% but never kicked the humidity to 85% because of the staggered hatch dates.

I have 12 beautiful geese I hatched wintering over here in Minnesota!

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:ok thanks. Oh and i know this is a little off topic, but if you dont mind, could you please post a pic of your sebastopol? I saw on another post that you have just one. but if you cant thats fine. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I think my only current photo is on my cell phone. I'll try to get some tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: