Question on the Camper shell for a coop.

slyfoxpeeps

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
Lewisburg, WV
Hi,
I remember reading about someone using a camper shell for a coop and I can't find that link anywhere. I have an old top that is just laying in the woods and I'm thinking,
big_smile.png
more chickens?
big_smile.png

Anyone know where that link is or have any idea's how to make it work???

Thanks!
Sly

I saw that as well, but I don't think there were any details - just a photo of a camper shell coop.

You'd probably want to set it up on something like cinder blocks or hay bales, do something to close up the front with the exception of a pop door, then arrange for perches and nesting boxes.

Sounds like a hassle to me. Not sure I'd bother - probably just build a wood coop. But that's just me...

did not see the post but I think that a camper shell would make a great roof for a coop for sure. just frame the coop to the size of the camper top aor maybe a tiny bit smaller so the camper would shed rain off of the coop walls. The windows could allow for light in and fresh air in the hot days.

Keep us posted if you go through with it.

I have an old pop up camper with a fiberglass top that is about 12 x 6 and that would make a good roof also. HMMMMM!!!

My DH doesn't want me to use the camper shell but to get him to build me a coop is reaaaally tough. So I was think on cider blocks as well. This is only a temp. solution. I will keep you posted.

We've used my truck cap as a temporary holding coop a few times.
It worked great. I'd use a camper top in a heartbeat. Does it have
a bed in it? Would be great for hanging out with he chickens.

It sounds bad, but maybe if you start working on the camper shell coop, he'll relent and build a real coop!
big_smile.png

My dad uses a camper shell as a shelter in the run, but they have a proper roost and nests in a coop as well. This allowed them to build a smaller coop than they would otherwise have needed for their flock, since the birdds only sleep and drop eggs in the coop and can hang out, eat, and socialize in the camper shell. (I know there are some that would disagree, but this is the rationale and their flock is very happy and loving!)

Vicki

barnie.gif
We have just had round 3 over my chickens. He said, the coop is suppost to be first!! I keep telling him that if I had to wait on a coop I would never get any chickens!!! We have a small coop now and several breeding houses with runs but with all the rain we have finally are getting I'm just getting worried. So I thought what the heck, I'll drag the top over and put in on some cider blocks, stick some perches in, which I can do... I am getting pretty good at wood working. My DH is a carpenter, so I have been getting him to give me lessons while we work on breeder house....
duc.gif

Quote:
You sound SO like my wife and I.

She wants to build temporary solutions, I threaten to knock her out and make her part of one of those solutions. (only kidding.)

She wants to build temporary solutions, I threaten to knock her out and make her part of one of those solutions. (only kidding.)
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

I told my DH want you posted and he said You had that right!!

I'm just addicted! He has been working out of town during the week sense last april, my youngest child is 16... And I'm an outside person, so the chicken are alot more fun to watch then my pond fish! Now I reallly want to hatch some eggs....

Back
Top Bottom