Question on Thermometers

oteixeira

Hatching
11 Years
May 27, 2008
So I bought a digital thermometer/hydrometer, and I put it in my incubator next to the hovabator thermometer. They are not reading the same thing. The manual one is at 101 ish, and the digital is reading 98.1. What in the world? How do I know which one is right, and will the degree or two in either direction ruin my hatches?

Orlando

I did the same thing. Mine are a little closer to being in the same range than yours but I'd like to hear other opinions too.

To check thermometer accuracy:
Eggseronious wrote: Get a quart of ice and crush it or use a blender make an ice water mix put the thermometer down in about 2 inches and sit for 4-5 minutes should read 32* degrees make sure its a thick slush of ice water.

Sounds great, but the hovabator only goes down to 60F, and the digital says not to put it in water/ice...

Orlando

Most people buy 4-5 and aim for around the middle, I'm also guilty of this as my flukers one is unstable and will at time make up munbers in order to freak me out, my zilla is more reactive and the humidity reads higher, adn my aquarium one is placed in an egg filled with water, like the water wiggler idea only using an egg and a waterproof thermometer probe.

If you cant calibrate it, get you a medical mercury thermometer place it in the incubator where you can see it real good as they are hard to read sometimes. I quit buying those digital pieces of junk, yes I have a drawer full. I bought a certified Incubator Thermometer from Philadelphia Instruments. I just noticed an Acurite I have checking the humidity but it reads the temps to, it was sitting on 97.6 and jumped to 99.3 for no reason. The Philadelphia was sitting on 100.4 and dont change alot in the Genesis 1588. What these junk thermometers do is get you adjusting the bator then its all messed up.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom