Question re: stuck egg

Country4ever

Songster
12 Years
Oct 26, 2007
One of my almost 9 year old Black Australorp hens has been pooping some thin/lumpy/bloody poop, so I've been keeping my eye on her. Its almost spring, and I worry about their egg-producing things starting up, since they are so old. I noticed today that her comb didn't look good. then I realized she had a slight vent prolapse with a small egg stuck about 1/8th of the way out. I put her in a warm bath and could gently pop the egg out. (Hardly an egg though.........more like a leather ball).

I pushed the slight prolapse back in and used a little hemorrhoid suppository on her. She's in a crate now and I'm watching her. I also started her on antibiotics, since I have also occasionally seen what appeared to be egg white coming out.

After I did all this to her and was using a hair dryer to dry her off, alot of clear watery liquid came out of her vent. Do you think this was just "urine" that had been obstructed by the egg? It was very watery and not like egg white. I massaged her lower abdomen and more poured out. What do you think this substance is?
Thanks for your help.

I think that what she is expelling are bits of impacted, infected eggs. These can be in her tract for a long time. Old chicken can get all sorts of ailments, including cancer, ascites and peritonitis. If they lay at all they often become internal layers - hence abdomens that feel like water balloons. All of these issues create fluid in the body cavity, nasty poops and poor condition. Antibiotics might alleviate the secondary infection, but won't cure her. She's lived a long and good life. Keep her comfortable. It sounds like you're giving her excellent care! She could last quite awhile yet. I have a lot about old hens on my blog at www.HenCam.com/henblog.

Back
Top Bottom