Question... the good ol' pen!

Quote:
My aviary is almost the exact same dimension.

I think mine is 5.5 wide, 13 or 14 long and 7 feet high.

I use a combination of sand/dirt and 2 sizes of pebbles in mine.

I use larger 1 inch jade pebbles all around the pond area to prevent mud going in and around the pond area.

I also have very tiny 1/2" or smaller Moon pebbles in a small square 2x2 foot section in front of the doorway inside the aviary so i don't track mud in and out as well.

It depends on how your bottom surrounding area is, but mine pretty much prevents dirt from running off if it gets wet.

Still, i cover it every time it rains, just to be safe.

I hose it down thoroughly once a week and manually scrub a bucketful of rocks that have a lot of droppings on them in a little cleaning station i built outside of the aviary and then throw them back in.

54047_p1000724x.jpg

54047_p1000710x.jpg

Here are 2 pics of mine, so you can get an idea of the coverage.

I also have a link in my signature with more pictures, but these are the 2 best from it.

Quote:
My aviary is almost the exact same dimension.

I think mine is 5.5 wide, 13 or 14 long and 7 feet high.

I use a combination of sand/dirt and 2 sizes of pebbles in mine.

I use larger 1 inch jade pebbles all around the pond area to prevent mud going in and around the pond area.

I also have very tiny 1/2" or smaller Moon pebbles in a small square 2x2 foot section in front of the doorway inside the aviary so i don't track mud in and out as well.

It depends on how your bottom surrounding area is, but mine pretty much prevents dirt from running off if it gets wet.

Still, i cover it every time it rains, just to be safe.

I hose it down thoroughly once a week and manually scrub a bucketful of rocks that have a lot of droppings on them in a little cleaning station i built outside of the aviary and then throw them back in.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54047_p1000724x.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54047_p1000710x.jpg

Here are 2 pics of mine, so you can get an idea of the coverage.

I also have a link in my signature with more pictures, but these are the 2 best from it.

That looks great! thanks

I forgot to mention, but if you do plan to put any kind of small rocks in, to make the most of it, I'd recommend laying down some landscape cloth first so that the rocks or pebbles don't sink into the ground.

I also put pine straw in 2 spots where the ducks loaf.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom