Questions About Disease Diagnosis

Haunted55

Songster
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Central Maine
I have been going through the posts here this morning looking for help with a problem I am having with two young roosters. One, 14 week old partridge rock, was purchased from TS and the other, 15 week old maran-americauna mix, was one hatched in an incubator here. There are 22 birds in this group. 12 from TS and 10 incubated hatch.

A few weeks [?] back, there was a question of whether or not one of the birds in this group may have had coccidiosis. I switched them to medicated food and waited for my mail ordered corid. I have not given them the corid, as now it appears that this may not be the problem at all. I have also taken them off of the medicated feed as well.

These two roosters are having problems with their legs/walking. They almost appear to be drunk when they first start to walk, almost stumbling, wide gait, the partridge curling left foot backwards sometimes when he first starts out, and the need for both of them to stop and rest frequently [stop, drop and rest]. The mix has been doing this for weeks now and this is what gave me the idea it might be the cocci. [that and the fresh blood I saw in the poop]. The past 3 days they have been let out to range for the first time and being able to see them outside has really made me sit up and take notice.

The partridge is sometimes gasping or at least seems to be [while he is lying basking in the sun], yet when I walk up to check on him, he stops and gets up and walks away. Other than this and the walking, he eats, drinks, and appears happy. In fact he has a female who very rarely leaves his side. The maran mix is bright eyed and happy, eats well and is aware of his surroundings and what is going on around him.

I guess the biggest questions are how and when do you TRY to make a diagnosis? The birds are not showing signs of sickness other than what is mentioned above. Do I leave it alone? Do I give vitamins? If so what kind? How much? How often? How do I give them, in their water, with a dropper? I have looked for a Vet locally who handles fowl and there is no such animal here. I have talked to other chicken raisers in my area about these symptoms and questions and all I have gotten is a shrug and 'cull the flock'. Ummm, not today....If I had deaths or more definative symptoms that would show that there really is something bad going on, then yes, I would, I would have to, whether I liked it or not.

You try to make a diagnosis when you see alarming symptoms. I start to make note of a bird when it is not acting right, but unless it is doing something alarming I just start observing it more closely. Giving vitamins is never a bad idea. I like to use Poultry Drench/NutriDrench. A little added boost is not a bad thing under any circumstances. The directions/dosing are on the package. It is added to their water. Do not cull your flock. There is absolutely no reason to...at this time. That may change if something else changes.

The bird gasping in the sun is probably just panting. Fully fledged birds don't like a lot of direct sun. They cook under all those feathers.

The odd gait- I can't help you with that one. Maybe their legs are cramped from being sedentary? It bears watching, but at this point I don't think there are enough signs of a problem to consider it a problem.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Thank-you for your reply. It gives me hope I am doing the right thing. I am so afraid it will turn out to be Mareck's but am not smart enough or experienced enough to make the call.

So much for hope....When I went out this afternoon to start taking care of my birds, I found the little partridge rock in the classic 'roadrunner' position usually associated with the mareck's, one leg forward and one back. When I touched his back to check for life he got up and moved away. His 'girl' who normally is always with him, was laying on her side and putting her head back over her back. I had read on another post here that a vitamin deficiency can also cause these symptoms and as they have just come off the medicated feed I gave them the .25 mls of the poly-vi-sol and half of a 400iu vitamin E cap. I am probably grasping at straws here but if it is mareck's I really do not know what I am going to do!

We have just finished building an addition onto the first chicken house we built last year which houses my 2 roos and 8 laying hens. I now have a 6 x 8' brooder added onto the front part of the building, with just a wood and chicken wire door, which is where the affected birds are kept and the new back which has an area of 8 x 18', divided into 3 x 5' chicken wire pens. In this part, which is also open to the front brooder room, I have 20 meat birds, 22 asst. [speckled sussex, white giants, black giants, and dark cornish], two show girls and a silkie and 10 geese and 10 ducks. How do I do this????

I am going to try and hold out with the hope until I can't. Is there anyway that I can get the needed vitamins into their water so that all will get the proper dosage? I have the sav-a-chick as well as the baby vitamins but have no clue if they are as good. I am so in need of advice here. If someone can help me I would so very greatly appreciate it. I just don't have the stomach for culling until I know for certain I have to.

I'm not an expert b any means but it certainly sounds like mareks.

Def seperste them keep an eye on them for a day or 2. With the extra vitamins if they don't improve then you may to cull them. If they survive and it's mareks chances are they will be effcted fo the rest of thier days.

Hi Haunted55,

it's a terrible thing, but I wouldn't cull any but symptomatic birds even if it is Marek's. Culling and disinfecting won't stop Marek's recurring because as I understand it it's extremely long-lived in dander and dust, and there's practically no way of removing it once it's there.

If it is Marek's (a necropsy might be a good idea), the options are vaccination of new hatched chicks, or what many do in Australia, which is to cull the sick and breed from those that stay asymptomatic. This is because marek's resistance is highly hereditary. In other words, a bird that catches Marek's and doesn't develop tumours is going to give you healthy chicks that don't succumb. Personally I prefer breeding for resistance, but there are many, many people who prefer vaccines. With some vulnberable breeds like silkies vaccination may be the only realistic option.

Sorry you're going through this, and I hope it isn't Marek's for your sake,
Erica

Back
Top Bottom