Questions about getting NPIP certified

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
What do they do when they certify you. What tests do they run on your chickens? Someone told me if they find someone is sick they will kill your birds, is this true. I don't think my birds are sick but, that is a scary thought. Do they check for worms and stuff. If they were to find any of your birds have it would they tell you how to treat it.

I want to to get certified. I would also like to get my birds checked out and just make sure everyone is healthy and such. We don't have any chicken docs around here so I was wondering if I could take care of both at the same time. Any information on what exactly they do and how much it runs would be really appreciated.

:0)

I had my flock NPIP tested just last month. I called the telephone number link I found online for my state (Tennessee). They gave my name/number to the person who does the testing. He called and set up a time to come out. They tested each chicken that was 6 months or older. My husband and I would catch a chicken and hold it while the tester did the test. The test involved extending one of the chicken's wings and pricking a blood vessel right under the skin. They also did mouth swabs of a few of them. The tester told me that he had never seen anyone NOT "pass." After the testing was completed, he gave me paperwork to complete and mail into the state dept of agriculture - and a couple weeks later I received back my NPIP card. It was much simpler than I had anticipated.

Did you end up being able to get certified? I'm interested in it BUT in a few yrs, depending on how things go. I've heard it's a difficult and drawn out process but very much worth it.
This is a very old thread and don't believe the OP will see this. We certified the new flock early December. It's not a difficult or drawn out process. The hardest part for me was having anyone call back from my state. That was a months long process that if I persistently called every day could have shortened to a week probably. After that it's simple, person doing the testing will contact you to work out the day you both are available. Pullorum is what NPIP is all about. With Avian Flu many states added that which is the random mouth swab that is sent to a lab. Pullorum test is blood sample and quick chemical reaction for instant result. Other states add what ever test they want. NPIP though a national program is administered by each state so slightly different for each. Some have fee, some free, some test all birds every year others all birds first year and random birds each year after, etc. Heck, there is one state I know of that has classes so poultry people can be certified to conduct their own tests. This of course makes far too much sense and costs the state next to nothing compared to multiple full time vertrenarian employees driving across the state everyday to conduct a test a high school kid could do with less than an hour of training so didn't catch on.

The only way you'll know what Ohio does or requires is to contact:

OH
Jim Chakeres, Ohio Poultry Association, 5930 Sharon Woods Blvd., Columbus 43229. Phone: (614)882-6111; FAX: (614)882-9444. E-mail: [email protected]
Leslie Stewart, Ohio Poultry Association, 5930 Sharon Woods Blvd., Columbus 43229. Phone: (614)882-6111; FAX: (614)882-9444. E-mail: [email protected]

Here are the various State contacts:

http://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/OfficialStateAgencies3-11-2016.pdf

In MA they blood test for Avian Influenza and Pullorum Typhoid. The tester takes a blood sample from a bird, bands it and labels the vial, and off it goes to the lab. As long as they're fine (and most likely they will be) you'll get your testing card and will be all set.

Now some states - notably VA - require MS/MG testing as well. So check with your state.

Thanks everyone I think I actually found a network sight that will probably answer all my questions and will make it so that I can get scheduled to get certified. If I have anymore question I will get back with ya. :0)

NPIP is run differently in each state as it is run by the states, not the feds. NPIP is for Pullorum/Typhoid. Some states also test for Avian Influenza and or MS/MG, either voluntarily or as a requirement. There are very few diseases that are federally reportable and also require killing an entire flock; however, different states have different sets of reportable diseases. For the most part, reportable diseases are ones that can be transmitted to humans or pose a significant threat to a state's commercial industry. If your state has a significant amount of poultry agriculture, either meat or eggs, chances are higher than the number of reportable diseases will be larger than if the poultry industry is not economically important in your state.

Cost for NPIP testing, who does the testing and how easily it is scheduled can vary greatly from one state to another.

Back
Top Bottom