The chicken nurd

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
Hi
So ignoring that I’m not getting chicks for a few months
my question is this I’ve been considering ordering online so I’ll have more options but I’ve never done that before I’ve always just bought chicks from the local feed store
Should I try ordering online this coming spring and if so what hatchery and what should I know about ordering online
Thanks
- the chicken nerd

Try to order from a hatchery near you. I prefer not to order because chicks can be squished, and they have to go without heat.
Have you considered how the chicks get to the local feed store? They have to order them there to. If anything its more stressful. Shipped in the mail, unpacked into a crowded brooder with people constantly staring down at them. Then put into another box and taken somewhere else.
If you don't want to purchase shipped chicks, hatching your own eggs, or purchasing from a local breeder near you. It can be more expensive, but often yields better quality birds.
I prefer to incubate, or purchase from breeders. We have some really nice breeders in our areas.

I bought from Murray mcmurray last fall and had a great experience. My 5 hens were juveniles that came in two orders so a little pricey but healthy. The first came in 2 days second order took 3 they were pretty thirsty on that one. They send with gel and a cucumber for hydration but I agree better to get from hatchery closer to you. How many will you get total.

I bought from Murray mcmurray last fall and had a great experience. My 5 hens were juveniles that came in two orders so a little pricey but healthy. The first came in 2 days second order took 3 they were pretty thirsty on that one. They send with gel and a cucumber for hydration but I agree better to get from hatchery closer to you. How many will you get total.
I’m only planning on adding a few maybe 4 or 5 although I was also planning on adding 1 or 2 more ducks

Back
Top Bottom