The chicken nurd

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
Hi
So ignoring that I’m not getting chicks for a few months
my question is this I’ve been considering ordering online so I’ll have more options but I’ve never done that before I’ve always just bought chicks from the local feed store
Should I try ordering online this coming spring and if so what hatchery and what should I know about ordering online
Thanks
- the chicken nerd

what should I know about ordering online

When you place the order, you can usually pick what ship date you want, and they will pack your box of chicks from the ones that hatch on that day. By taking orders in advance, they have a better idea of how many eggs of each kind to incubate.

The boxes of chicks usually travel by airplane, so I think the actual distance from the hatchery doesn't matter very much. Most of their time is spent being sorted, sent to the next stop, sorted again, put on the truck, sent to your local Post Office, and so forth. So the number of stops makes more difference than the real number of miles.

You should expect to drive to the Post Office to pick up your chicks the day you arrive.

The Post Office tracking information makes most people panic at first.
The chicks ship-- and the Post Office estimates an arrival date way too far in the future. You know the chicks will die if they spend that long in the mail.
But the chicks usually do arrive at your Post Office in a safe amount of time (well before that estimated arrival date.)

Then the tracking says they are "out for delivery," even though they are supposed to be held at the Post Office. They probably are at the Post Office-- you can wait for a call, or call the Post Office yourself, or just drive over there to see.

Your local Post Office may call very early in the morning, as soon as they take the chicks off the truck, and you can come get your chicks at once.

Or your local Post Office may wait until they officially open for the day, and call you then. (If you're waiting at the door when they open, you can get your chicks without waiting for them to call.)

When you first unpack your chicks, they are probably cold, thirsty, hungry, and tired.
For the first hour or so, they seem to need extra heat, so just lower the heat lamp a bit and let them warm up. When they stop huddling so much you can raise it back to the height that makes the "right" temperature for their age.

I bought from Murray mcmurray last fall and had a great experience. My 5 hens were juveniles that came in two orders so a little pricey but healthy. The first came in 2 days second order took 3 they were pretty thirsty on that one. They send with gel and a cucumber for hydration but I agree better to get from hatchery closer to you. How many will you get total.
I’m only planning on adding a few maybe 4 or 5 although I was also planning on adding 1 or 2 more ducks

When you place the order, you can usually pick what ship date you want, and they will pack your box of chicks from the ones that hatch on that day. By taking orders in advance, they have a better idea of how many eggs of each kind to incubate.

The boxes of chicks usually travel by airplane, so I think the actual distance from the hatchery doesn't matter very much. Most of their time is spent being sorted, sent to the next stop, sorted again, put on the truck, sent to your local Post Office, and so forth. So the number of stops makes more difference than the real number of miles.

You should expect to drive to the Post Office to pick up your chicks the day you arrive.

The Post Office tracking information makes most people panic at first.
The chicks ship-- and the Post Office estimates an arrival date way too far in the future. You know the chicks will die if they spend that long in the mail.
But the chicks usually do arrive at your Post Office in a safe amount of time (well before that estimated arrival date.)

Then the tracking says they are "out for delivery," even though they are supposed to be held at the Post Office. They probably are at the Post Office-- you can wait for a call, or call the Post Office yourself, or just drive over there to see.

Your local Post Office may call very early in the morning, as soon as they take the chicks off the truck, and you can come get your chicks at once.

Or your local Post Office may wait until they officially open for the day, and call you then. (If you're waiting at the door when they open, you can get your chicks without waiting for them to call.)

When you first unpack your chicks, they are probably cold, thirsty, hungry, and tired.
For the first hour or so, they seem to need extra heat, so just lower the heat lamp a bit and let them warm up. When they stop huddling so much you can raise it back to the height that makes the "right" temperature for their age.
I always call on opening time because the post office may not call you.

I always call on opening time because the post office may not call you.
My post office will not let me pick up chicks any earlier than their standard opening time, so I just show up when they open, and no telephoning happens at all. (When the tracking says "out for delivery," I know it's the right day.)

With hatcheries that do not send a tracking number, it is much harder-- then I have to wait for them to call me, unless I want to call them several times to ask.

Try to order from a hatchery near you. I prefer not to order because chicks can be squished, and they have to go without heat.
Have you considered how the chicks get to the local feed store? They have to order them there to. If anything its more stressful. Shipped in the mail, unpacked into a crowded brooder with people constantly staring down at them. Then put into another box and taken somewhere else.
If you don't want to purchase shipped chicks, hatching your own eggs, or purchasing from a local breeder near you. It can be more expensive, but often yields better quality birds.
I prefer to incubate, or purchase from breeders. We have some really nice breeders in our areas.

Back
Top Bottom