what should I know about ordering online

When you place the order, you can usually pick what ship date you want, and they will pack your box of chicks from the ones that hatch on that day. By taking orders in advance, they have a better idea of how many eggs of each kind to incubate.

The boxes of chicks usually travel by airplane, so I think the actual distance from the hatchery doesn't matter very much. Most of their time is spent being sorted, sent to the next stop, sorted again, put on the truck, sent to your local Post Office, and so forth. So the number of stops makes more difference than the real number of miles.

You should expect to drive to the Post Office to pick up your chicks the day you arrive.

The Post Office tracking information makes most people panic at first.
The chicks ship-- and the Post Office estimates an arrival date way too far in the future. You know the chicks will die if they spend that long in the mail.
But the chicks usually do arrive at your Post Office in a safe amount of time (well before that estimated arrival date.)

Then the tracking says they are "out for delivery," even though they are supposed to be held at the Post Office. They probably are at the Post Office-- you can wait for a call, or call the Post Office yourself, or just drive over there to see.

Your local Post Office may call very early in the morning, as soon as they take the chicks off the truck, and you can come get your chicks at once.

Or your local Post Office may wait until they officially open for the day, and call you then. (If you're waiting at the door when they open, you can get your chicks without waiting for them to call.)

When you first unpack your chicks, they are probably cold, thirsty, hungry, and tired.
For the first hour or so, they seem to need extra heat, so just lower the heat lamp a bit and let them warm up. When they stop huddling so much you can raise it back to the height that makes the "right" temperature for their age.

When you place the order, you can usually pick what ship date you want, and they will pack your box of chicks from the ones that hatch on that day. By taking orders in advance, they have a better idea of how many eggs of each kind to incubate.

The boxes of chicks usually travel by airplane, so I think the actual distance from the hatchery doesn't matter very much. Most of their time is spent being sorted, sent to the next stop, sorted again, put on the truck, sent to your local Post Office, and so forth. So the number of stops makes more difference than the real number of miles.

You should expect to drive to the Post Office to pick up your chicks the day you arrive.

The Post Office tracking information makes most people panic at first.
The chicks ship-- and the Post Office estimates an arrival date way too far in the future. You know the chicks will die if they spend that long in the mail.
But the chicks usually do arrive at your Post Office in a safe amount of time (well before that estimated arrival date.)

Then the tracking says they are "out for delivery," even though they are supposed to be held at the Post Office. They probably are at the Post Office-- you can wait for a call, or call the Post Office yourself, or just drive over there to see.

Your local Post Office may call very early in the morning, as soon as they take the chicks off the truck, and you can come get your chicks at once.

Or your local Post Office may wait until they officially open for the day, and call you then. (If you're waiting at the door when they open, you can get your chicks without waiting for them to call.)

When you first unpack your chicks, they are probably cold, thirsty, hungry, and tired.
For the first hour or so, they seem to need extra heat, so just lower the heat lamp a bit and let them warm up. When they stop huddling so much you can raise it back to the height that makes the "right" temperature for their age.
I always call on opening time because the post office may not call you.

I always call on opening time because the post office may not call you.
My post office will not let me pick up chicks any earlier than their standard opening time, so I just show up when they open, and no telephoning happens at all. (When the tracking says "out for delivery," I know it's the right day.)

With hatcheries that do not send a tracking number, it is much harder-- then I have to wait for them to call me, unless I want to call them several times to ask.

I used My Pet Chicken to ship down here to Louisiana and was extremely satisfied. We ordered an extra chick because every time we’ve ordered chicks from other places in the past, at least one has died. All 4 chicks arrived safe and sound, happy and healthy in their little box and the heat pack was still warm!
You can also request Marek’s vaccination here :)

I have ordered from both Ideal and Welp and gotten excellent results.

Welp has a 25 chick minimum so if you're only wanting a few birds you'll need to arrange to split an order with one or more other people.

Ideal has a monetary minimum not a numerical minimum but they have special policies to enable the safe shipping of very small orders: https://www.idealpoultry.com/order_policies

If you think you're capable of selling chicks you've raised you can order more than you want to keep and sell the extras on Craigslist after they're off heat and you've picked the ones you like best.

I have actually map quested hatcheries and the closest to me is ideal. The birds are fine. They r pets to me. The birds I have gotten locally are Very good quality but then I can’t get sexed and I do not like to re home them. But I might hatch some this coming broody season. I usually get mine for delivery in January so they will be laying by summer.

Back
Top Bottom