1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick chicken cage

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KenK, May 21, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Bought three fence panels 4' by 12', cut them up with bolt cutters and assembled with hog rings into a 4' x 8' by 4' high pen . Total time about an hour and cost about $100. It seems sturdy. I can pick up my end but I'm not sure yet if my wife can get hers. I may put it on skids to make it easier to drag around.

My immediate need is temporary storage for some chickens while I fix their run. I believe seven half grown chickens can stay in there a day or two. In the future I figure I can keep a pair or trio in it or a broody hen or grow out a few meat birds...

[​IMG]

2. paeskie

paeskie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks for sharing!
    It is nice to have ideas for fast and simple temporary containment.

3. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    If it had a floor I could so use that to break my now 5 broody BLRWs! [​IMG]
    Good job! [​IMG] it even looks nice!

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  4. ShanCarl1971

ShanCarl1971 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Where do you find that type of fence panel???? All I've been able to find have WAY larger openings than that!!

5. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    These came from a local feed store in Imlac, GA but I have seen them at Tractor Supply with the 2x4 mesh.

6. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Wow, none of ours have such small holes!

7. duffersdame

duffersdame New Egg

May 21, 2011
    We use a giant dog kennel and it looks almost the same as your fence one, except it has a slider tray and two doors. Having St Bernards has come in handy in our new venture! lol It comes down quickly and efficiently, can be moved easily, and cost us about $100. We got ours from Pet Smart.

8. ShanCarl1971

ShanCarl1971 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Our local TSC only has panels with 4x4" openings. Maybe they could get me some??? I should look into it. I need something to use for integrating new chicks with the older ones.

9. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    I think well I know the Lowe's here carry that type of panel. It's a bit more pricey than regular cattle panel. Plus I (we) as I work at Lowe's here for now cut it for free too.

10. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Nice job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by