Quick chicken cage

KenK

Songster
9 Years
Jan 23, 2011
Georgia
Bought three fence panels 4' by 12', cut them up with bolt cutters and assembled with hog rings into a 4' x 8' by 4' high pen . Total time about an hour and cost about $100. It seems sturdy. I can pick up my end but I'm not sure yet if my wife can get hers. I may put it on skids to make it easier to drag around.

My immediate need is temporary storage for some chickens while I fix their run. I believe seven half grown chickens can stay in there a day or two. In the future I figure I can keep a pair or trio in it or a broody hen or grow out a few meat birds...

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTgtMjAxMTA1MjEtMTA1MC5qcGc.jpg

Thanks for sharing!
It is nice to have ideas for fast and simple temporary containment.

If it had a floor I could so use that to break my now 5 broody BLRWs!
barnie.gif

Good job!
smile.png
it even looks nice!

Last edited:
Where do you find that type of fence panel???? All I've been able to find have WAY larger openings than that!!

We use a giant dog kennel and it looks almost the same as your fence one, except it has a slider tray and two doors. Having St Bernards has come in handy in our new venture! lol It comes down quickly and efficiently, can be moved easily, and cost us about $100. We got ours from Pet Smart.

Our local TSC only has panels with 4x4" openings. Maybe they could get me some??? I should look into it. I need something to use for integrating new chicks with the older ones.

I think well I know the Lowe's here carry that type of panel. It's a bit more pricey than regular cattle panel. Plus I (we) as I work at Lowe's here for now cut it for free too.

Back
Top Bottom