Quick please! Blue or Black Ameraucanas which is better?

He's meeting me somewhere with just the blues so I dont have to be tempted to take em all. I'd like to but DH says we just dont have room. I'm letting 4 Dominiques and 2 ducks go to make room for these.
sad.png
I Dont mind. I've wanted Ameraucanas forever and just cant wait to finally have them.

Hens - Blue. Roosters - Black. I looove blue Ameraucans if they're female, but sometimes they look a little ratty, especially if they're male. Blacks on the other hand make me
droolin.gif
if they're male. Aaah I can't wait until mine reach showing maturity!

...I'm letting 4 Dominiques and 2 ducks go to make room for these. ...

That's between a rock and a hard place. You'll love the Am's --- mine are such silly birds. A pal of mine was here yesterday. She asked "what's with all the empty runs?", hahaha.
My Ameraucana girls hear a stranger coming and they all run and hide in their coops --- silly birds.
smile.png

Lisa​

krstms,
You made the right choice with the blues. If you are only breeding for pet quality you have the color and if you are interested in showing you can always acquire a good show quality black rooster without any problem if you need any type of improvement in the line, they may be show quality already since most pure Ameraucanas now are of good quality. Make sure if you do get a black rooster that he does not leak any red in his plumage.

Last edited:
I believe with the Blues you still want to keep a Black to go back too every couple of generations. To keep the color. With Blacks you just need Blacks. I like em both. I'd keep both IF you could.

Back
Top Bottom