Quiet Roosters???

Here is a video of one of my personal roos after my decrowing procedure. Check out my thread on the subject, any opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

Dr. James

Hi there, i have a rather gorgeous red Columbian Rooster, not actually from Columbia, but a red strain of the Wyandot breed (if i spelled that right?!) he is A. Really tame and gentle B. Quiet, and a relatively laid back, late raiser, his crow does not carry as far as my neighbour's rooster ... He is also very protective of his six hens, and trying to make friends with his four ofspring chucks, which are super protected by the mother hen, different breed, Ancona. Anyway, he's really quiet.

The "leash" this bird is on keeps his feathers looking much better than in a wire pen. Also, it gives him more room, better roost and still keeps him away from the other birds (prevents fights). Tie outs are a probably under piece of equiptment that can be used for show birds. Just gotta watch the predators.

Dr. James

I have to agree with BeeKissed. It's kinda like declawing a cat... Why get a cat if you can't handle the claws/teach them where to scratch? Obviously roosters can't be taught when, where and at what volume to crow, but I think you're depriving them of one of the essential aspects of their being. Mine has calmed down now (he crowed ALL the time when I first brought him home) to where he only makes some noise in the morning ("hey, get up, we're hungry in here!") and then in the afternoon he'll have a chat with the rooster a couple blocks away. So far I haven't had any complaints from any neighbours so I'm happy to leave him be. As for the leash, I've noticed that my flock are very good about keeping within my property boundaries (occasionally one or two will stray); does your rooster not know where he's allowed/not allowed to go? One would think after being on the tether for some time, you could probably remove it and he likely won't go beyond where the tether stopped him.

does your rooster not know where he's allowed/not allowed to go? One would think after being on the tether for some time, you could probably remove it and he likely won't go beyond where the tether stopped him.
I have several roosters, so they would fight if they were just let loose (just because theyre bantams, doesnt mean they get along :) Plus I live next to a highway, and I dont trust any would be predators. It is a very handy and economical way to keep a lot of birds looking good. I also breed most of my birds individually and keeping him on a cord is handy when Im AI'ing hens. Just grab him up quick, collect him then grab her up quick and deposit the semen.

Dr. James

my EE rooster crowed twice one day and hasnt crowed since get an EE
I am now praying to God that my EE is like yours. we just confirmed him to be a rooster couple days ago when we caught him crowing at 10 weeks old! he only did it a few times and was not bellowing throughout the neighborhood! fingers crossed!
fl.gif

E
my banty rooster is about 4 months old now.. and has never crowed that i've noticed.. i was reading once that bantams in general are quieter than the rest.... and bantam roos are ssoo darn cute...

this is ironman

Explain this to my EE bantam Mocha who is 10 weeks. He thinks he is the worlds alarm clock!

Back
Top Bottom