Quietest, calmest, tamest breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by plot_thickens, Dec 30, 2008.

1. new2chix

new2chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    New Palestine Indiana
    My Black Australorp is very good natured and quiet. She also lays a large, brown egg almost every day - even now when it's cold and days are short.

2. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I have 3 red star sex-links in my backyard and they are pretty quite and very tame. I got them when they were about 5 months old and they now are now almost a year. They try to run in the house every time we open the door. They will also eat right out of our hands. We live in a subdivision and haven't had one complaint. We also try to give eggs to the neighbors whenever we have extras so that might help.

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Not sure that nurturing makes a less noisy chicken just a nicer one. Some of my freindliest make the most noise. Cochins and Buff orpingtons were my quietest by a large margin.

Rir nice enough but cranky some times and verbose

4. plot_thickens

plot_thickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hurrrmmmmmm. Well, are nicer or quieter chickens better neighbors? I think most of our neighbors will have children.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    My Salmon Faverolle and Marans are sweet very calm girls. The salmon Faverolle is not quite but that might just be her.

Henry

6. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Quote:I noticed that about the little BLRW roo that I hatched from your eggs, very personable too!

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Another vote for cochins. Even my chicks hardly peep at all in the brooder. They are just naturally quiet and laid back.

8. plot_thickens

plot_thickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    And are all these grand quiet mellow breeds good layers?

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    My Jersey Giants are quiet and docile and decent egg layers. I have a Cochin that is super quiet, but I have yet to get any eggs from her. The Henderson Breed Chart can you a general idea of egg production ability for different breeds and a little general info about their temperaments.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#r

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I can not believe that no one has mentioned Buff Orpintons.

Mine is awesome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by