R.I.P ~ Anekin Bunny~Updated(Scratchy also)

bantymum

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
4 hours from Sydney Australia
Anekin, my dear little Avatar bunny has been missing for a day and a half. His girlfriend Scratchy has been sooo lonely.
I donned my overalls and went under the house with a lamp and there he was lying in the entrance to his burrow.
His little front legs were stretched out as if he died quickly whilst he was entering the burrow.
Not one scratch or puncture wound on him.

Im thinking a snake maybe??? he was not ill at all, though he had started to sneeze every so often but I put that down to grass in his nose?
Im numb right now, has anyone had a bunny just die quickly like that. Anekin is usually tough with preds etc, my cat and he used to chase each other around the tree.
He was desexed to avoid any kittens and now I have a very lonely doe, Ill need to watch her she may now try to dig out.
Ill have to find another boy bunny for her and spay him too.
I just cant get used to looking out and seeing her all alone.

Last edited:
heres my little boy with Poko the red roo!
The weird thing is that I had an immense feeling of sadness yesterday and couldnt figure out why
I also woke up sad, now I maybe know why!
The yard looks empty without him.
anekinandpoko-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss. Most rabbits die suddenly without any signs of illness. They do this because they are on the bottom of the food chain where showing illness attracts predators.

Thanks, Yes it could be one of many things My first 3 picks are :
Snake, mixamatosis,calisi virus.
Im lost, my heart is in my foot, im dragging myself around with slumped shoulders. I havent felt this awful for ages.
I guess i feel sad for Scratchy, his best mate, she was always with him and she must be fretting for him.
At least she knows he has gone as she was with him when I found him.
I know that tommorrow will hopefully be a better day.
Im wondering if I should find another male bunny for scratchy to hang out with. Ill need to have him spayed.$$$$
Though firstly i have to find out what killed Anekin.

ahhh banty mum im so sorry he ended like this.
Maby another cause of death could be heartattack. i have had to put rabbits down myself that have been spocked and they go in a trace and want come out of it. I think he might have been spocked by an animal or somin.also he might have been bit by a snake you just cant find the punkchures.
once again im so sorry you going though this.
hit.gif
:aww
hugs.gif

Thanks Sweety, Yes punctures are hard to find.
We dont have the usual predators except maybe the snake.
Anekin is really used to cats but My cat stops them from coming in.
I spoke to a vet friend today who told me that 60 bunnies have been knocked down by the* calisii virus and *mixo in 2 weeks in his surgery.
*wild rabbit pest control baits are active at present and the mosquitoes are bringing it into town. darn it.

Back
Top Bottom