Raccoon Attack

UPDATE: Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I took Stacy bird to the vet yesterday, and they said she would make it through. I was really worries because her skin had been torn off so that
you could see the muscles. The vet gave me antibiotics for the next ten days, and also told me to apply honey on her wounds once a day, which is apparently a great antibacterial for chickens. I have to keep her inside for the next week or two until the wound heals, so that no dirt or any other pest gets into her muscles. She is staying in a dog cage and not enjoying the forced medicine twice a day BUT she will just have to deal with it. I'm letting her roam the house a little bit so that she doesn't feel cooped up. Thanks again!

Raccoon attack what should I do????

: (

My recommendation is vet, but if that's not possible, what exactly are the injuries? Stop the bleeding first thing. Then assess the damage. Are there puncture wounds or scrapes or lacerations? What exactly, besides bleeding, is going on?

Stop the bleeding with gentle pressure for 2-3 minutes at the site, and blood stop powder or flour may also help. Flush out wounds with betadin or hibiclens and water, then dry and apply an antibiotic ointment such as plain neosporin ointment. Look for any broken bones, punctures, or hidden injuries under feathers. Place her in a warm quiet spot with bedding or puppy pads, and have water and feed nearby. She may be in shock afterward, but birds can recover from some bad wounds with good care.

Back
Top Bottom