Raccoon info? **Warning--Graphic Imagery**

brooder

Songster
Sep 21, 2017
Hi,
For those of you familiar with the predatory habits of racoons, I have some questions.
Three days ago, I went to lock up my ducks at about 9:45 when I saw that one of them was missing. I found her feathers strewn at the trunk of an oak tree, and upon looking up, discovered her decapitated body on an old tree fort. I knew this must have occurred between 6:00 (the time I left the house) and 9:45. I live in Mid Michigan, by the way, so the sun finishes setting at around 9:40. I know this is the classic work of a great horned owl, but I understand it was too early for one to be hunting. I then realized even if a bird of prey like a red tailed hawk had the wingspan to fit through the small V of the tree just above the fort, it probably won't be brave enough to go through. Then I discovered black and white striped clumps of fur all the way up the tree. Going off the obvious and assuming it was a raccoon that killed my hen, why exactly would it have picked her up and carried her to the for to feed? Also, why was it hunting at dusk in the first place? Is this common? If I wish to continue free ranging, what are ways to keep this from happening with a raccoon again?

Any help is appreciated, and sorry for the long post!
MVIMG_20180620_181235.jpg
MVIMG_20180620_183201.jpg
IMG-20180617-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20180617-WA0002.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks like a coon did it. Best way to keep them safe is shooting the coons and putting up hot wire. I recently lost some pheasants worth $600 to raccoons. I have killed 12 coons in the past week or so.
Coons definitely come out towards the evening and through the night. Normally one walking around during the day time is sick.
Sorry for your loss. :hugs

Again, I'm sorry about your duck, that's just so sad. The raccoons around us tend to cruise around at dusk and night --- right now, in June we have one or two BIG raccoons climbing over our fence, trying to get to our blooming cherry tree. This is happening between full dark nightfall and dawn. We know because our dogs go crazy, and we've seen them.

In July it's Mom and Pop raccoon and usually 3 or 4 babies and they are romping all over the abandon lot and barn next door. We see them "playing" all over the abandon lot before sunset, and then at dusk, they make some attempts to climb the fence near the chicken coop. They are up in the trees, and again the dogs go nuts. My Sweetie is outside with a wrist rocket and marbles, and I'm with the hose set to stun. We look like idiots, and once again, I consider getting a gun to protect my darling hens.

This wrist rocket/hose scenario continues into August and September, as the Bandit Family Circus makes attempts into the yard, and I guard my darlings, sometimes all night, sitting in a lawn chair, holding a garden hose, and a vodka drink. (only did that twice last year)

It would help if the neighbors wouldn't feed their 13 cats (yes, 13!) outside on their porch. The raccoon family, and skunks, all wander over there for snacks every night when they realize my restaurant has the right to refuse service.

We are going to put up an electric fence at the access point where Bandit and Family shimmy over the fence. That should help.

Again, I'm sorry about your duck, that's just so sad. The raccoons around us tend to cruise around at dusk and night --- right now, in June we have one or two BIG raccoons climbing over our fence, trying to get to our blooming cherry tree. This is happening between full dark nightfall and dawn. We know because our dogs go crazy, and we've seen them.

In July it's Mom and Pop raccoon and usually 3 or 4 babies and they are romping all over the abandon lot and barn next door. We see them "playing" all over the abandon lot before sunset, and then at dusk, they make some attempts to climb the fence near the chicken coop. They are up in the trees, and again the dogs go nuts. My Sweetie is outside with a wrist rocket and marbles, and I'm with the hose set to stun. We look like idiots, and once again, I consider getting a gun to protect my darling hens.

This wrist rocket/hose scenario continues into August and September, as the Bandit Family Circus makes attempts into the yard, and I guard my darlings, sometimes all night, sitting in a lawn chair, holding a garden hose, and a vodka drink. (only did that twice last year)

It would help if the neighbors wouldn't feed their 13 cats (yes, 13!) outside on their porch. The raccoon family, and skunks, all wander over there for snacks every night when they realize my restaurant has the right to refuse service.

We are going to put up an electric fence at the access point where Bandit and Family shimmy over the fence. That should help.
Hunting air rifles are quite effective. Any .22 Cal or larger at a minimum of 1000 fps will make short work of raccoons. Just treat like a real firearm for safety. And the practice is loads of fun.

So sorry for your loss -- maybe a quick tag on your title to include "Graphic Photo" for those with weaker stomachs?

I'll post more about raccoons in a second, just wanted to get that out there first...
Of course! Didn't even think about it...
So sorry for your loss -- maybe a quick tag on your title to include "Graphic Photo" for those with weaker stomachs?

I'll post more about raccoons in a second, just wanted to get that out there first...
Of course! Didn't even think about it...

Back
Top Bottom